How can you not have multichannel system

I just finished listening to Allman Bros 'Live at the Fillmore East" on SACD, and cannot believe the 2-channel 'Luddites' who have shunned multichannel sound. They probably shun fuel injected engines as well. Oh well, their loss, but Kal has it right.
mig007
Eldarford,

Your point is well taken, and as I stated, I really have not had an opportunity to listen to a really good multichannel music system. The fact that I have only heard really poor multichannel music systems has obviously prejudiced my perception. It's just that the argument - as presented in this thread - is so poorly....well, argued, that I couldn’t resist a bit of sarcasm. I truly would like someone to describe the enhancements / augmentations that well-executed multichannel brings to the music presentation. For me, a well defined explanation, or description paints a much better picture than a “cork-in-the-wazoo” one point perspective. No offense to anyone…really. What’s it like man! Some of us really do want to know.
Thank you…really.
2chnlben, exactly what I would like to get from this thread. Eldartford has given the best explanation so far while some of the links provided by the op have also been useful. I searched 5.1 audio for some info also and found lots of reviews of SACDs, some multi-channel.
A lot of what the op is referring to in his explanations are the benefits of hi-res formats vs multi-channel IMO. That's what I get from his explanations anyway. The link concerning the Chinese review is primarily a review of Bob Dylan SACD releases and makes slight mention of 5.1 information.
I agree with Tvad that recorded music is normally presented as if the performers are in front of the listener. A good resolving stereo system in an adequately treated room can present plenty of ambience to create this illusion. Can a well mixed multi-channel recording played back on a comparable system sound better? If the mixing was not done properly it would just sound like sound effects intent on making an impression.
Does it sound better? That's one question pertinent to this thread. Others are:
With the decline of SACD and DVD-audio, is there a an adequate selection of multi-channel music being released today?
Is the additional equipment needed to play multi-channel music worth the investment, especially if the sole purpose of the equipment is music and not video?
Can a multi-channel be properly installed in a small room, say 12X13 (my rooms dimensions)?
One more thing, before the op decides I'm one of the idiots who can't understand how music is mixed he should know I have extensive experience in the technical aspects of this field. In fact, I'd venture the majority of the Audiogon members posting on this thread have more than just a passing knowledge in this area. It is an audio forum after all.
Of course it's all about the mix, and that includes stereo. No doubt there are silly multichannel discs just as there are bad stereo ones. There are plenty of multichannel discs that do not put performers in the rear.

And Mrtennis...If you seek realism, spatial cues are quite important, and more difficult to achieve than pitch, timbre and harmonics. In fact, as your hearing deteriorates with age, as yours will too, (sorry about that) you will find that spatial awareness is affected very little, and therefore becomes even more important.
Post removed 
Here is another sacd article where the reviewer lists her favorite 2 channel and multichannel sacds. Along the way she sheds some light, but not right on the nose. Worthwile if you want to try a few discs, even if 2 channel.