Cheap/free tweak of the Magneplanar 1.7s, etc.

Reading up on some of the extensive tweaks--if not downright full rebuilds--of the Magneplanar 1.7s, it inspired me to try something really simple.

So, figuring the Maggies could use a bit more anchoring and stability, but not wanting to spend anything *just yet* I grabbed 16 volumes of my Encyclopaedia Britannica and put four volumes on each of the feet--two on each foot in the front and two more per foot in the back.

The results surprised me, matching (at least) the improvement you get from speakers sitting on the carpet vs. spiking them through the carpet to the floor underneath. There was a fuller-bodied presentation, a more organic and less disembodied presentation. It increased the sensation of bodies in the room making music. Imaging improved, and resolution of high-pitched percussion noticeably improved. Sounds of orchestral bells, the triangle, tambourine, etc. were easier to hear in large orchestral numbers.

There was more body to the bass, so much so that I turned my subwoofers off except for recordings that had significant sub-40Hz info.

If you have some relatively small heavy things lying around the house, place them on your Maggie feet and see what you hear.

Later today I intend to hit Home Depot for bricks or paver stones or thrift shops for old dumbbells or small free weights.
johnnyb53
I noticed that the 1.7 factory legs are slightly bowed in the middle and not entirely a flat contact on the floor. It's springy if you step on the middle. Not sure if the design helps or hurt.
I can see where the slightly bowed feet would make the speakers less tippy on a flat surface. I can also see where weighing them down would flatten the feet, making better contact with the floor and making them even less tippy.

I'm trying to avoid the expense of Mye stands, but I can also see that the 4 screws at the bottom are not strong enough and have too little leverage to really keep the panel still and stable. They need the triangular stability as typified by the Mye's.
How about drilling screws into the stand at multiple points and securing it tightly against the floor? Come on someone try it and let us know how that works, you make holes in your walls to hang up picture. I'm half joking but I do wonder if that would be an improvment.