Bookshelf speakers for $500ish

I'm looking to upgrade my Dynaco A25s to something more compact and modern.

They will be amplified by Marantz 2238B, and I'll be listening to acoustic jazz such as Bud Powell or Miles Davis- a lot of piano trios and small groups with horns.

The room is 10' x 12', and I won't be able to mount them on stands, or be more than a few inches from the back wall.

Budget is $500 or so. I like the idea of buying used, but I'm not up for a very long hunt. New options I'm considering are KEF Q300, B&W 685 S2.

Thanks for your help!
tmcevoy213
@Mesch: I'm not sure if they offer home audition, it's worth checking into. Their price is $800 for the Rega- double the cost of a used Minuet that I could sell for a little loss, as you mentioned. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's compared those two (RS1 and Minuet).
I'd try powered studio monitors. I have Equator D5s now and they are quite good, although with 5" woofers the bass is light. You also avoid the cost of a power amp. I have not heard any passive speakers in that price range that are as good as the Equators. In fact, I had Mackie MR1s actives (300 pr) that sounded quite a bit better than my BW 805 Matrix speakers to my ears. Bye, bye, B&W.

You can find used Mackies all over the place.
The Supreme Pluses add more "punch and snap" and are better suited for Jazz.

The RS1s add more "realism and clarity" and are better suited for classical/full scale orchestra.

I really enjoy the piano/string notes coming out of the Supreme Pluses on a small scale like duos, trios, and quartets but it gets a little congested with a full scale orchestra ensemble.

Keep in mind that both are rear ported so you would have to see if they would work in your room.

Good luck.
Consider an href=http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/infinity-primus-p363-
loudspeaker/>overachieving compact floorstander

These are not hard to find new w/warranty at $400/pr. Read the TAS review
before deciding. A small floorstander doesn't really take more overall space
than a stand-mounted compact monitor, while running on fewer watts and
having greater dynamics.
After listening to a pair of Totem Rainmakers last weekend, I think I've raised my budget to $1000ish. However, I have concerns that my little Marantz 2238b would be able to handle the Totems specifically. At the dealership they ran through a Peachtree that I imagine is much more powerful.

So my question is: given the rather small room and my not-super-powerful amp, would it be a waste to consider $1000–$1300 speakers? I was impressed by the improvements in tone and imaging offered by the Totems, and it would be worth the extra money if that would translate to my listening room. Please note that I'm not only considering the Totems, but considering auditioning speakers in the higher price range.

Thanks as always for your thoughts.