What would you buy Sub $350 Firewire/USB DAC

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have a pair of B&W DM 610s with a Music Fidelity B1 amplifier. My old ADC CD player is slowly passing away, and I've been thinking of using my IBM X61 laptop as an audio source.

Here is a short list that I'm considering, and I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Best,

Music Prof.

StyleAudio Carat-HD1V
Styleaudio Peridot USB DAC
Fubar III
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC04 USB DAC
Blue Circle USB
AudioSector USB NOS DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC w/USB option
Peter Daniel NOS USB DAC
DacMagic Digital to Analogue Converter
Peter Daniel USB DAC
KECES 151 USB DAC
KECES DA-131 USB DAC
Vintage Audio Lab DAC
Squeezebox classic
Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
music_prof
I just visited the Audio Magus site, and I don't see the MagiDac listed. Is that a discontinued item? If so, perhaps I can find a used one at a good price.

I am both excited and riddled with indecision as it seems that there are a number of possibilities, even buying new, that match my budget.

I'll keep posting as I move forward just in case someone else is considering a similar purchase.

At the risk of perseverating, thank you once again to all for your valuable advice.

Best,

--Patrick

OK, since the OP has generously undertaken to inform the curious of his discoveries... there are two DACs at the low end which interest me. One is the Beresford, from the U.K.

http://www.beresford.me/others/main.html

and the other is the VALAB mentioned above, which is made by an outfit in Taiwan and sold on eBay.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Vintage-Audio-Lab

I would use such a converter with a computer-based portable system if its sound were better than that of my M-Audio Audiophile USB external.

I tend towards the VALAB DAC because their description on eBay is wonderfully enticing. The unit is said to be "sweat sounding", and I'm sure that would be great for rock.
Here is a little more information--I'll have to fill in some blanks....

AudioSector USB NOS DAC Peter Daniel
$280
NOS
USB Others?

Bersesford TC-7510 MK6/4
£200
US twin WM8740
Digital Only

Blue Circle USB
$190
?
USB/SPDIF

Cambridge Audio DacMagic
$399

USB/Coax/Optical

DIYEDEN SVDAC05 USB DAC
$199
CS4398 / PCM2704

Fubar III
$350
PCM2702/OPA2604AP
USB

KECES 151 USB DAC
$225
NOS PCM 2702
USB

MHDT Paradisea
&599
NOS Philips TDA 1545A
USB / toslink / coaxial

Musical Fidelity V-DAC
$300

USB/Coax/Optical

Musiland MD 10 Bit Select USB DAC
$300
USCS4398
USB/Coax/BNC

Styleaudio Carat HD1-V
£130
Burr Brown 2704
USB

Vintage Audio Lab DAC
$180
NOS TDA 1543
USB/Digital

Yulong DAH 1 USB DAC
$280
AD1955
USB/Coax

I have much more to do, of course. I've dropped the Apogee Mini-DAC from my list as it is too expensive, the Beresford as it hasn't a USB or Firewire input, and the Squeezebox Classic as it is not what I thought it was. I'm likely to remove the Blue Circle and Fubar as I don't think that they compete with the others for my intended purpose.

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic seems to get slightly better reviews than the Musical Fidelity V-DAC, but I am still open minded about the the latter. If it is anywhere near as good as their other products, it has to be worth consideration. Finally, I'm finding it difficult to learn more about the AudioSector USB NOS DAC by Peter Daniel. I remain interested though...

My so-called short list is about to get a good deal shorter.

Thanks again to all for posting,

--Patrick