Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics

The weird thing is we have tripled our sales since leaving the PS Audio Forum and opening the website.  Should have done this a long time ago.

Here is an FFT of our modded MK1 with our nickel transformers.  Much better than the stock unit and the new MK2.

Interesting; however, the mkii sounds better than the mki.  That’s my listening comparison with both having the edcore transformers (no other mods).  Will hear the APS transformers in the mkii soon enough.

That may be true however without the Vocm mod and our nickel transformers in the MK1, it’s not a fair comparison. We have both the fully modified MK1 and the MK2 with our transformers, the input grounds fixed and 3M RF shielding setup to do instant blind A/B comparisons and most who listen here cannot pick a winner. They are that close. I can pick the MK2 most of the time however I know exactly what to listen for not necessarily the best sounding. They are both great sounding.

Hands down the build quality of the MK1 is far better than the MK2.  We are pretty disappointed in the build quality of the MK2 since we have been modding many of them here. Every one of them have / had build issues.

Attached is a sweep of the LUNDAHL LL1948Ag (silver) transformer for comparison. These transformers are some of the best and most expensive units made however are not that good in the DS.