Opus 21 vs Esoteric X-3se

Has anyone heard these 2 players. Can the unmodded Opus compete. The Esoteric is 2x the price, I am assuming the GNSC modded Opus will compete favorably. How do the 2 differ in their sound. I have noticed with my Esoteric that it does not do poor recording any favors. Musical and very detailed sound. Works well with tube amps,IMHO.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
I have had both. Opus is not quite as detailed, not nearly as dynamic in either base or mod form. GNSC Opus might be more musical at the expense of detail and air. For the money, gnsc Opus is hard to beat. If you have the cash, I preferred the X03SE. If you need to run direct and need more cash, GNSC Opus is a no brainer. You will lose about 5-10% in dynamics, air, detail imho.
I own the GNSC modded Opus and love it. I have heard the Esoteric (not in my system) and would agree with Arbuckle's assessment. However, as the old saying goes, "the devil is in the details". I think the detail level of the Esoteric really puts the pressue on your upstream components to keep up, whereas the Opus is likely more synergistic with a broader range of systems.
Thanks guys! Your thoughts are about what I expected. I want to run direct, that's the main motivator. I just don't what to take too big of a step back and be unhappy.
Thanks
Mike
Well, the "running direct" question is a completely different discussion than the quality of digital playback between the two players. In my system, I prefer using a preamp, though I know many run the Opus direct. As with selecting any preamp, you'll need to look at impedance matching, required gain, etc.
I use the GNSC modded Opus and heard the unmodded player against one of the cheaper Esoterics, sorry I can't remember which, but more costly than the Opus. The view in the dem room was pretty universal, the Esoteric was clearly more detailed, better dynamics, but the Opus sounded more like music. Everyone in the room, preferre the Opus