Willsenton R8 Tube Amp with REL Subwoofer

Hi, my setup is the Willsenton R8 with PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player CD/SACD and Bel Canto DAC 3.7 going into Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII speakers.

I play a wide range of music Classical; Jazz; Rock and Electronic.

What I'd like help on is anyone who has added a REL subwoofer to the Willsenton R8 and if possible Sonus Faber Sonetto speakers and what if any benefit they saw? It's not that I don't have bass definition as I do, it's just if adding the subwoofer produces a worthwhile improvement?

sparksgja

Thanks to both of you for responding. I'm really agreeing with both of you.

I think a more powerful amp will help drive the SF's better with more control and detail, but to do that probably means going the tube mono-block and pre-amp route. Right now the Willsenton is probably the weakest main component.

I do think the using amps output and amplification in the REL sub via the high level input was the way I was thinking of going, and dialing in so its barely detectable.

I can try the REL for 60-days through a local dealer so I'll probably start there but start saving for a new amplification approach. 

Thanks again, George

The amplifier does very well with a REL sub. I set mine up with the Neutrik cable to a T7i in my library/office room and a pair of Martin-Logan Motion 35XTs, a 2-way 92dB ported speaker with AMT tweeters. My speakers are on isolation stands on a credenza, so the bass support is helpful.

I use the REL T7i with a Willsenton R8 and custom Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 EX monitors. Connection is via the REL high level cable. I keep the crossover point low as well as the gain. It fills in the bottom end nicely without drawing attention to itself. 

Thanks for responding. Since this post I've moved on setup wise and went to a new Pathos hybrid amplifier. Still not bought a subwoofer but think I definitely will.

For me its less about getting a thumping bass but as you said filling in and getting that more realistic sound stage.