Matching the cartridge to the phono stage

Hey Everyone, I am new to this so please be gentle :) 

I am in the process of buying an amp that has the phono stage in it with the following specs with 3 options for the cartridge type MM/MC-Low/MC-High:

Moving Magnet: 2.5mV / 47kΩ

Moving Coil:

MC-High-Output: 0.3mV / 100Ω

MC-Low--Output: 0.1mV / 40Ω

LINE 180 mV / 47 kΩ

Now I am thinking of buying the Hana SL cartridge with the following specs:

Hana SL specifications:

• Output Level @ 1kHz: 0.5mV

• Output Balance @ 1kHz: Less Than 1.5dB

• Impedance @ 1 kHz: 30 Ohms

• Suggested Load: 400 Ohms

• Cartridge Weight: 5 Grams

The preamp MC-Low says:  MC-Low--Output: 0.1mV / 40Ω

The Hana SL cartridge: Output Level @ 1kHz: 0.5mV, Impedance @ 1 kHz: 30 Ohms and Suggested Load: 400 Ohms. 

How do these values match ? As far as I can see I don't have the same voltage 0.5mv on the cartridge and 0.3mv on the phono preamp. I also see that 40ohm vs 30ohm. The 400ohms figure is only mentioned on the cartridge. 

Can this cartridge be used successfully with this phono stage ?

Do I need to match these numbers ? Can someone help explain this whole thing to me. 

Thanks!

ajones82

It’s the tonearm, not the TT, that determines VTA adjustment. Nearly all tonearms apparently other than Rega tonearms, permit VTA adjustment one way or another without resorting to shims. Preferably you might want to seek a tonearm that affords easy VTA adjustment via a threaded tower, sometimes built into the vertical pillar, or sometimes along side of that pillar, that raises or lowers the pivot and which can be fixed in position once proper VTA is achieved. 

This doesn't help the OP, but I use the Hana SL with a Pass Labs XOno. Hana recommends >400 Ohms, but Wayne Colburn, the designer of XOno, claims that, due to the design, listeners should start at 100 ohms and work down. The design features dozens of values below 100 ohms, and only a few choices above. 400 ohms sounded harsh in the violins with the SL, and 80 ohms sounded rolled off, but really "interesting." I settled on 122 ohms, but I still feel something is not right. 

Mulveling, I think you might be right about the weird internal impedance of the SL, at least in the case of the XOno. The Hana ML has a more conventional profile, and I am tempted to try that next, which would allow me to spelunk deeper into the impedance range of the XOno to see if it makes a difference. At least there is a way better choice of impedance levels. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hana, which is why I am considering moving up. 

Most phono pre designers seem to build around 100 ohms, but the SL is an outlier at being both low-output MC and recommending >400 ohms. Interesting. 

Paul

The SL is an outlier because of its high internal impedance relative to other LOMC cartridges. Plain and simple. The rule of thumb in matching audio components is you want the input impedance of the driven or downstream device to be at least 10 times higher than the output impedance of the driving or upstream device. Where cartridges and phono stages are concerned, that rule is often bent a little but as the ratio of the two impedances falls below 10, more and progressively more of the signal voltage output is lost to ground. That’s often tolerable but also there is a gradual high frequency roll off. So, the SL has internal Z of 33 ohms and Hana recommends phono input Z of >400. Makes sense.

You might also read Atmasphere’s posts where he points out that resistance loading is for the phono stage and that for a well designed phono, the standard 47K load ought to work fine.

@ajones82  My vote is to keep your Hana and listen to it.....I bet it will work just fine on the MC low setting and you will be happy.  In my experience I have only seen the gain of a phono section.  My phono stage has 74db in high setting and I have a a 0.48mV cartridge that pairs quite nicely.  Your Hana is 0.5mV which I believe is a very conservative output for a MC low setting.  There are many that have 0.2-0.3mV which I have not ever tried.  Trying to start over with your cartridge research,  return yours and buy another is no fun.  Also, I have had Rega:  80s Planar 2, RP6, RP8 and P10 now.  All the Rega cartridges were too bright for me(Exact 2, Apheta 3 & Aphelion 2).  I have had the Goldring Eroica LX, Benz Micro Wood SM & now the Kiseki Purpleheart that I love!  I tried the Soundsmith Sussuro MkII that didn't work(long story) and a Lyra Kleos.  I bought the spacers that slide in from the top with makes any VTA adjustment super easy.  I haven't found much need for adjustment but the spacers are cheap so go ahead and get them and see if you can tell a difference.  Let us know what you do and enjoy!  That Luxman looks awesome...should provide years and years of enjoyment.

dhite71, Do you see that there is more to it than just whether the phono stage has adequate gain for the cartridge?  Cartridges and phono stages are often blamed for match up failures when really the blame ought to lie with the audiophile who tried to mate unmatchable or poorly matched components.