Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Jsbail makes a very good point: Even if people know about the high end and even if they like the great sound, for 95% or more of the population convenience trumps quality anytime. People don't want to sit and listen. Heck my wife is so used to my system that she always remarks on how bad other systems are. But I can get her to sit and listen maybe once a month. The rest of the time she's busy, or would rather read or watch tv. And she's always hoping for a high end system that's smaller than a boom box.
I think the price no obstacle systems are good for us all. Its there research and development that gets handed down to lower systes as the years roll by as they find cheaper ways to do things. I think if it wasnt for these companies high end wouldnt be what it is today.

Its easy to look at a product and say it only costs x aount to make it and complain about the price but there is so much more to the cost of business then the amount it takes to build it. Research and development and advertisement are two of the biggest. Nevermind payroll, marketing, machinery, rent, and electricity.

I use to run a small metal fabrication plant and our electric bill was seventy thousand dollars a month! Nevermind machinery which easily got into the millons. Thats just the factory. Then you have all the middle men who sell the product, pay for inventory, rent, employess, and on and on.

The electronics in your systems were the ultra hi fi of the past so remember in ten years you will have some of that awesome state of the art technology of today in your system.
Many Men do not want to go to bat with the wife .... Those speakers are so big why can't we have those little Bose speakers ?(don't get me started on that one!)But Seriously Audio like many things in human nature people enjoy simplicity. The Quartz watch almost Drove the Handmade Swiss watch makers into the ground (until the the art of automatic watches became a status symbol ) Any hobby or interest that requires an investment of time and money is too much for many people. I love Hi Fi Audio and have for over 30 years! When I was 12 I had practically memorized the Audio equiptment annual. I went to the CES show when I was 17 ... When I heard a demo of the JM Labs Utopias playing Who Are You I almost cried! Appreciating Fine hi Fi Gear is like admiring fine artwork You either "see" it or you don't. A great aside is that while the Carver & Pioneer Gear (nice stuff for the $) is sought after by the masses , the competition for the used gear at the upper end can sometimes be thin. plus Audiophiles are always looking for the next upgrade. The adventureous shopper can put together a truly amazing used class A system for $ 5,000 -$ 10,000 & up ! Enjoy the road to audio Nirvana it's a great ride!
people are too busy rating themselve on www chat-sites, to have time to listen to music, anymore... ;~)
A lot of good coments made here, one of my wealthy friends sold his good stereo(consisting of Martin Logan, Nordost and Audio Research) and bought some 'cheap' stuff(paradigm, sherwood and Radio shack cables). Image is everything to him and all of his friends(except me) like the current system better, go figure. They all think because he has money he knows what to buy(and what sounds better) and he went out in one day and bought everything, with very little if any research, but his system is better because it is his, right? Best wishes and I hope none of you ever fall in to this catagory.