Transparent Cable comparisons across both level and generation

I am considering a purchase of Transparent cables and have zero experience and knowledge of the different levels, which increase in price exponentially.  There are some older 'Ultra level speaker cables for sale that are 3 or 4 generations old.  They have them listed with the current Ultra list price which I suppose is irrelevant.  It appears that an 8ft pair could be purchased for around $1400.  My question to Transparent was how would that compare to a brand new Super 8ft pair for $2200.  Transparent responded via email and I called and talked to them and they said they NEVER compare both across generation and level.  They only say each new generation within a level offer an improvement.  I am disappointed in my first experience with this company to provide such a scripted response with no real-world insight.  All my electronics are Audio Research and I have spoken with several guys there over the years and they are always open to this type of comparison and speak honestly and genuinely with me.  All that aside, does anyone have such experience to offer recommendations as I am considering a purchase.  Thanks!
Dana

dhite71

@dhite71 

I have ARC gear, Martin-Logan and Transparent speaker cables and a pair of XLR interconnects between my DAC and preamp.  Both are Ultra Gen 5.  I was told by several individuals that the jump between Gen4 (whatever that was called) and Gen5 was about 1.5 levels.  So I would assume a 1-1.5 level increase with each generation.  Usually this means it is cost effective to buy the latest or next latest generation.

@docknow  Thanks for that insight.  In my example, purchasing 20 year old Ultra speaker cables for $1400 vs new Gen 6 Super cables for $2200....would be better to get the new Supers, correct?  The Ultras I saw are 4 generations behind the Gen 6.  It is wild when you look at their speaker cable options.  There are 10 levels and the prices essentially double each time starting at $115 up to $77,000!!  Yowza

Yes, there is no question that a Gen6 Super is much better than a 20yo Ultra.  A closer comparison would be a pair of Gen5 Ultras for sale for $2099 right now.  Based on what I wrote, the Gen6 Super should be better, and you get a warranty, the correct end fittings and as an original owner, you can participate in their upgrade program.

OP,

Looking at your system, Transparent is the brand you should be looking at. I have virtually all Transparent Ultra Gen 6 on my system. I have upgraded from various previous generations and models.

I believe that Gen 5 to Gen 6 was a very substantial upgrade. One that is compelling to choose. So, if I were to do it over again, I would choose Gen 6 and then go as high as possible on the product line. So, I was able to go for Ultra.

ARC and transparent are a fantastic combo… well, unless you can afford Nordost Odin 2… they are way better). I experimented with half a dozen other brands, Transparent is perfect. The higher level the better.