opticalRendu network streamer – a review

I’ve used Sonore’s opticalRendu streamer on a daily basis for the past 16 months. It’s provided me with lots of satisfaction, so I’d like to share my experience here.

The opticalRendu (oRendu henceforth) isa Roon Ready network player and network streamer that turns your USB DAC into a network DAC, delivering a clean and highly-revealing sound”.  I quote the makers here to (a) relate their definition of the product and (b) preface my findings as a listener. This high-end streamer justifies its substantial cost with truly excellent sonic performance.

I listen primarily to acoustic jazz and classical music, streamed from Tidal via the Roon interface (which I adore). My primary system is in a dedicated, acoustically treated loft (12’ x 23’ x 9.5’) that is windowless but open on one end (facing sloping skylights above the living level below). My loft system consists of: Small Green Computer’s STi5 music server; the oRendu with systemOptique ancillaries and In-Akustic USB cable; Gustard’s R26 DAC; Rogue’s original Pharoah amp; and Duevel’s Bella Luna radial speakers (which sound great in this room, but don’t work in my wildly asymmetrical living area). Puritan’s PS106-DC power purifier cleans up electricity for all components. Ethernet cable is from BlueJeans Cable (using shorter runs for better coherence), while Grover Huffman’s Pharoah interconnect (RCA, 1m) and Zx speaker wire (3m) serve further down the chain.

The value of these components new is on the order of US$20,000. Together they provide the best sound I’ve had at home over 30 years in the hobby. I put that down to growth in my experience and knowledge (supported by increased communication with other enthusiasts), increased disposable income, and the availability of a good room for dedicated use.

I don’t use my phono section much anymore and won’t describe it here. But I will note that the attainable sound quality of streamed music, vast libraries online, superior ease of use and low cost of music have all combined to make me lose interest in vinyl and focus my attention and resources on digital.

My experience with streamers began in 2018, when I tested Google’s Chromecast audio receiver as an alternative to streaming out of my MacBookPro over Lifatec optical cable to my DAC. Around the same time I signed up for Roon and acquired my first and only music server (the STi5). As primitive as the Chromecast puck is, it sounded easier and more enjoyable than what came out of my computer. It also proved to me that untethered control devices are much more practical and convenient. Hence I went onto the used market to pick up Sonore’s original Signature Series Rendu streamer (c. 2015), which outputs via I2S or SPDIF via BNC. This (using SPDIF) brought a big jump in performance – even on Chord’s relatively modest Mojo DAC – and taught me that whatever handles the digital signal feeding the DAC is as important as the DAC itself.

Many audiophiles, including some professional and semi-professional reviewers, are still learning about this: despite the fact that stand-alone DACs have been common for over a decade, and streaming now appears to be the most popular way of listening to music. 

In 2019 I bought Bluesound’s Node 2i for my second system: bypassing its indifferent DAC for use as a streamer only. With its inferior power supply it lacks the warmth and organic presence of the original SSR. But with streaming circuitry developed a few years later – in a time of rapid advancement in that field – the Node 2i is equal in resolution and better spatially, with better bass. From this point I decided to invest in the best streamer that I could afford from Sonore, as a manufacturer that I’d come to trust. Hence I purchased the oRendu online from Small Green Computer, a closely allied company.

In this review I treat the Node 2i streamer (using SPDIF via coax) as a primary point of reference: first because I’m very familiar with it and have it on hand for direct comparison; and second because it loosely represents the current entry level of performance in audiophile streamers. (Reportedly the current Bluesound Node offers the same streaming performance as the Node 2i.) I’m thinking here of readers who may be trying to decide if a streamer upgrade will be worthwhile for them.

Sonore itself offers more affordable ethernet-to-USB streamers including the well-regarded ultraRendu; but I haven’t (to my knowledge!) heard those products.

Here are my notes from a direct A/B comparison of the oRendu and the Bluesound Node 2i in my primary system. The oRendu is completely noiseless with a black background. By contrast, the Node2i has a very fine layer of noise. Its resolution, transient acuity and dynamic contrasts are all reduced in comparison with the oRendu. The better the recording, the more evident are the performance differences. Overall, the oRendu sounds more pure, potent and accurate, and provides a more compelling and involving listening experience.

During this A/B comparison, I was surprised at how well the Node 2i stood up in view of its much lower cost and simpler form factor. But listening to sounds in an A/B test is not the same as listening to music in a relaxed frame of mind. After 40 minutes of comparative testing I took a break and then returned to regular listening for musical enjoyment. Now I was surprised not at how well the Node 2i stood up, but rather at how much more I enjoyed music through the oRendu. Without any reservations or qualifications, its performance in my primary system is clearly and obviously much better.

Still the value question remains. For whom is the oRendu worth the money? A high-end streamer is a no-brainer for wealthy enthusiasts who stream music; but those of us living on ordinary earnings or fixed incomes might need to be more careful.

The answer to this question obviously depends on the overall quality of the entire system. The oRendu represents a solid investment for someone with a very good DAC and downstream components. But it’s not such a good investment when matched with entry-level audiophile equipment. In particular, the better the DAC, the more it deserves and will reward a streamer of the oRendu’s pedigree. The superior performance of the oRendu was audible on the Chord Mojo, but not worth the large premium over a streamer like the Bluesound Node 2i. Conversely, using an entry-level streamer with a DAC costing e.g. $5,000 likely wouldn’t make good sense or represent a balanced investment.

This principle of commensurate quality is well known among audiophiles, and I don’t want to belabour the point; but I will substantiate my conclusions in this paragraph. Over the past four years I’ve progressed in DACs from Chord Mojo to Schitt Gungnir Multibit V to Denafrips Pontus2 to Gustard R26. Typically I’ve had two or three of these DACs in rotation in two systems for a few weeks or months at a time. The superior performance of the oRendu became increasingly obvious and meaningful as I scaled the ladder of DAC cost, engineering and results.

(I find the R26 DAC to be substantially better than Pontus2 in overall sound quality. But while R26 draws my attention outward to the full scope and beauty of music, Pontus2 uncannily pulls my attention inward: inviting me to attend to my response, and leading me into a contemplative state. So I believe that some listeners will prefer the Pontus2 despite its more modest sonic proficiency; and I’m happy to keep mine in my second system. In any case, there’s no doubt that the oRendu reveals the divergent sound characteristics of these mid-priced DACs very clearly.)

When I bought the oRendu I knew that it outclassed my best DAC, but intended to improve the DAC afterward. I’ve since done that twice, and am pretty sure I can further upgrade my DAC without outclassing the oRendu. I played it this way in view of the source-first principle, which seems to work in dynamic tension with the principle of commensurate quality. My point here is that a streamer is actually a source component, so that an audiophile’s choice of streamer should take account of its particular sound quality as well as its functionality and connectivity.

This is obvious to many enthusiasts but apparently not to all. Those who like to take skeptical “bits is bits” postures will get the sound quality they deserve, while the rest of us can move on to fabulous digital playback.  

Are there reasons not to buy the oRendu? Initially I was concerned, as a non-technical person, about undue technical complexity involving several tiny boxes. In practice this hasn’t been an issue. I like being able to easily place (and hide) the tiny boxes, and take advantage of the optical cable with a long and penalty-free run from server to the streamer.

Does this system operate reliably? My experience has been that it does. This doesn’t stop network issues and Roon issues from coming up. But I’ve had fewer glitches – and more stable network and Roon performance – compared with the other streaming solutions I’ve used.

Is qualified technical support available for set-up and troubleshooting? The answer to this is a resounding Yes. The principals of Sonore and Small Green Computer stand 100% behind their products, and typically respond to requests for assistance and advice within 1-4 hours. I’ve never had a problem they didn’t help me solve on a timely basis, including streaming issues not caused by their products. Andrew Gillis has also advised me on choice of ethernet cable and switch, and guided me in replacing a wifi extender with a homeplug adapter. Jesus Rodriguez even helped me answer technical questions from prospective buyers of my old SSR.

All of this is a big deal for a non-technical audiophile like me, given the technical demands of developing a high-performance network-driven system. And having direct access to top-level designers is nothing to sneeze at for any serious audiophile.

Of course there are several alternatives in high-end streamers. I’m not at all qualified to comment on those; but I can comfortably say that I’ve no doubts or regrets about using the oRendu and systemOptique in my primary system. I don’t really listen to rock but can confidently tell you that it rocks!

– end –

solus

I have 3 of these because they are great and so robust. I am a computer guy and am comfortable dealing with computer issues but with the Rendu’s I cannot say I ever needed to do use my computer brain for diagnostics. At worst just restart the unit.

I disagree about the cost of DAC that would benefit from the oRendu. I have a relatively cheap top end Topping DAC ($710 on sale on my low-end headphone setup) and it sounds the best with the oRendu (compared to microRendu).

@solus On one of my 3 Rendu’s I improved the sound slightly over the other 2 by following the advice of Jon Swenson who designed the oRendu. I had a EtherRegen that was lying around,Jon Swenson also designed the EtherRegen. I was going to sell it because it did not really improve my RJ45 streaming in my now sold KRELL K-300i integrated. In a whitepaper, he suggested that improvements in the sound of the oRendu was possible by adding a Fibre Media Converter in front of the oRendu. I tried the EtherRegen in reverse mode (B > A in EtherRegen speak) and Swenson was correct the oRendu sounded even cleaner via this setup. I do not have a FMC in front of the other 2 oRendu’s for esthetic reasons, too many boxes. I can live with using 1 FMC since it was already bought.

I have an OpticalRendu and  an OpticalModule Deluxe (feeding a Merson DAC1).  Really love the sound from this combo and want to throw out another option that I think makes a big difference--the Linear Tube Audio (LTA) LPS+ linear power supply.  I replaced the basic $189 SGC version with the LTA and the improvement  with both an improved high end and improved instrument delineation is really remarkable.  I'm sure many others are excellent as well, but I'm not sure anyone is making better power supplies right now than LTA.  Any they will (and have) made custom power supplies for several of the Rendu units.  

To those that have the oR:

1. what SFP and fiber do you use?

Apparently, people on them internets have mentioned that they all sound different (for example: Finisar 1318 does not sound as dark as Finisar 1475).

2. Do any Cisco SFP work with the oR?

3. If any of you live in the NY tristate area, would you be interested in swapping SFP & fiber for a day to see the impact on the system?

I have the oR / oM combo with dual Sonore Audiophile Power Supplies. I want to finalize whether I keep this setup or use the SoTM trifecta.