Thinking about another amplifier (Galion)

I keep coming across this Galion amp for some reason. I’ve watched a whole bunch of videos and read as much as I can about it. I’m leaning towards picking one up because of all the great things I hear about the bass, and that it still manages to deliver the rest of the tube magic at a nice price. But before going any further, I thought I’d ask if someone here might have some experience going from a 300B SET amp to something else, and if you were satisfied or not?

The current amplifier (pun intended) is a Line Magnetic LM-805ia (uses 2x 300B, 2x 805, 2x 6SN7 and a 6SL7). The one I’m looking at is a Galion TS120SE amplifier (uses 4x KT88 and 4x 12AX7).

I’m pretty darn happy with everything about my current setup...except I wouldn’t mind sacrifiing some of my super-sweet and syrupy mid-range for a little bit more bass, tightness, and slam. In case you’re wondering, I do have a 1 REL S/510 sub. I don’t plan on getting rid of my current amplifier anytime soon, but will eventually need to since I don’t really have the space for another big and heavy tube amp/ WAF.

I’d like to save myself from the whole cost and upgrade headache of swapping in new gear and having moving things around forever to get it all just right again. If there is a general concensus that this purchase is not be a great manuevuer, then I’ll steer clear.

In case it matters, I listen to mostly 70’s rock and soft/rock, funk, soul, 80’s new-wave/alt, all the great piano/singers, 90’s "grunge", acid-jazz, downtempo, and newer electronic music.

Speakers are Tannoy Turnberry and I mostly stream though a Lumin S1. Rarely, I’ll spin some vinyl (Rega Planar 6).

Some amps I’ve had in the past: Sansui Au-9500, Peachtree Nova 300, Prima Luna EVO 400. I’m hoping to get the bass the Peachtree Nova 300 had without giving up much else.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to reading this and for your opinion.

veerossi

I have a small LM Audio amp the 216i. I was told by the dealer years ago that two brothers (one brother had now passed) who own and design the products based the design(s) off the old US brand Western Electric. I think some Chinese audio companies are building these very good amps largely upon the heels of older tried and true tube amp designs. The fact they are built in China keeps the cost down and I believe ARC and other brands will charge at least 50% to 150% more for equivalent products. LM Audio has given me great service. I know there are many, many Chinese audio companies offering products on amazon, ebay, other outlets but there are a few that offer very good quality products that are well designed and made. Conversely there are many American, European and other companies making products with Chinese made parts. One has to go about the delicate sometimes tedious research process of finding quality audio companies which are across the globe.

I have not seen a legitimate review of this product.  I recall one yt reviewer and he tried to explained the product and never listened to it.

@emergingsoul I've not heard or read a legit review yet either. YT can be such an overheated circle-jerk on so many things, audio included. How else could Steve Huff make so much money about talking to the dead? Insert P.T. Barnum quote, here.

Thank you for the responses and good info so far. I’m aligned with your responses and still haven’t ruled out going with an additional sub instead of an amp. Other possibilities include room treatment focused on lower frequency management, doubling the investment price, or buying a cherry condition used high-ender brand amplifier, or just walking away from the purchase altogether. Another amplifier I was eyeballing is the Decware 300b Sarah, but no remote! Who the HE-double hockey sticks wants an amp without a remote?!? Well, apparently a sh*t-load of energetic people who like to ruin the mood by getting up to change the volume do. That’s who. Don’t get me started on their waitlist.

I reached out to Thomas at Galion to explain my situation and asked if there is a chance of testing one so I can avoid blind purchase/ possible disappointment etc and he said yes. I just received tracking info and I should have it sometime next week.

Needless to say, I’m pretty happy about this. I’ll have 7 days to test it out then will need to return it to Galion. Crisis averted...for now.

@veerossi great news. When you get it, I'd love to hear what you think about it. The thing that bothers me a bit about the amp is how much warm up time is needed for it to sound the best and if you change a setting it is start over from the beginning.