Janszen za2.1 vs nola metro grand ref series2

I am contemplating a speaker purchase. I was going to look into either a used vandy 5a or eggleston andra ii. But, I think they would both be too big for my small 12x14 room. I am also married to my 50 w triode monoblocks and I fear they would not provide sufficient power for either choice.

This leads me to the less well known janszen and a pair of demo nola metros. I have always liked the enormous magnepan 3.7 soundstage. I however found them always lacking in image specificity. So as the advice comes, please keep in mind my soundstage reference and goal is along the lines of the big Maggie's. I have read that the raven tweeter and open baffle in the nola result in a giant presentation. I am not as sure about the janszens.

Has anyone heard both of the speakers I am considering? My desire is to improve upon the sound of the Gallo ref 3.5 that I currently have. I would like a larger, taller deeper soundstage with Improved pinpoint proved imaging.

I recognize this may be an odd request, but I am hoping for real world experience as I have no way to hear either prior to purchasing the speakers. The janszens have a trial period going in their favor.

Fwiw David janszen was a pleasure to talk with about his speakers. If congeniality were a sound quality i would tip my hat to janszen.

Regards,
Brad
2out2sea
ok so first impressions. these are very different. much more focused with a smaller sweet spot both vertically and horizontally. The sound is unlike anything I have heard previously. mind you my room is small so that limits some of the acoustics.

at first I thought they were less dynamic than the gallos that I currently have. they sounded more polite and laid back. but, after listening for a while I realized that all of the music was there. I didn't find myself leaning forward in my listening seat to try and hear deeper into the music. it was all there, just not shouty and forward. my old vandersteens had a similar laid back sound, but sounded veiled compared to the gallos. the janszens sound laid back and non-fatiguing without a loss of detail.

the width of the soundstage is smaller than with the gallos. the gallos have a 300* tweeter that is hard to beat. it is essentially a small electrostat tweeter. however, something in the drivers is harsher than the janszens. I will sacrifice a little width to gain the depth of soundstage and fatigue free listening.

the bass can't stack up to the gallos, but is very natural sounding and not lacking. the 250w subwoofer amp with the gallos results in subterranean 20hz depths. the janszens are close to 30hz and it's only because I was so used to the gallos that I miss anything at all. electronica music like Mannheim steamroller will require me pulling my subwoofer back out. luckily I bought a decent one a year or so ago and it's been mostly living in it's box.

now the most marked sound qualities I am hearing are pretty astounding. the center fill is otherworldly. my gallos would always lock the singer in one spot and move the instruments out to the sides around the singer. the instruments were never centered between the speakers, but rather were separated as if on either side of the singer. with the janszens everything populates the same soundstage, but each is defined uniquely. the sound is so different that it is hard to compare.

lastly the janszens do something that makes no sense to me. I have never experienced a speaker that at times sounds like I'm wearing a set of headphones. my gosh it is amazing!

the stature of the speakers is very similar to the gallos. they are slightly more substantial, but almost dead even in height. they are very nice looking as well. very simple and understated. there's not even a janszen label on them except a silk screen next to the binding posts. they get a high wife approval factor compared to the gallos.
"lastly the janszens do something that makes no sense to me. I have never experienced a speaker that at times sounds like I'm wearing a set of headphones."

You say that as if it's a good thing.........

Shakey
It is a real sound. I have been in venues where the sound did indeed envelope you in a way that the point source wasn't distinguishable. I can't explain it better. Yes I think it is a good thing.
further impressions. there are 3 things that the gallos do better.

the first is bass. the janszens do bass well, but I see why david recommends a 200w solid state amp. I wish there were a way to biwire the speakers. the bass has significantly more impact from the gallos.

the second area is soundstage width. I have always liked huge open soundstaging speakers such as maggies. however, in this regard I will lose a little width to keep the other things that the janszens are doing in my system.

the third area is in regards to off axis listening. the gallos have a very forgiving and wide listening zone. the janszens don't seem to require your head be locked in place, but vertical changes and anything beyond 2-3' side to side loses the magic. vertically there is a very distinct line. it's almost like the difference b/w halogen headlights vs HID.

these are all small quibbles. I am very intrigued by the effortless grain free sound. no sibilance or etch even with some of my fairly bright recordings.

the only real concern that I have at this point is the increased power consumption of the janszens. they are not efficient. I have run out of steam with my 50w triodes. This is not good. I will have a conversation w/ david and keep you all posted.

my settings on the speakers is tweeter -3, air layer -8 and bass 0. just fyi.

brad
I know that I seem to be the only one posting replies here, but I thought I would try to further clarify the "headphones" comment.

I remember hearing a similar effect one time while at a private concert of Chris Issac. I was seated center stage not more than 8' from Chris. The speakers for the small auditorium were actually on plane with me to either side. The amplification was not turned up particularly high and I could hear the actual acoustic guitar and his voice in the natural while also hearing the amplified signal from the pa system. When I moved to behind the plane of the speakers the sound became very typical. But the magic returned once I re took my seat.

This is a very similar effect to what I am hearing from the Janszens. Take that for what it is.