Galion TS120

So this seems to be a bit weird. Thomas Tan from Thomas & Stereo is touting this as his improved version of the Doge 10. He’s having all of his YouTube buddies review the amp.

I’ve checked a number of the forums and I can’t find a single post about this amp. There is a very strange "post" where you would look for the Doge 10 by the co-creator of that amp who seems very upset about the Galion TS120 and the fact that they took the Doge 10 off the market even though the Galion TS120 is almost the same thing.

Ron, from New Record Day, has a video where he compared the Fusion Black Ice F35, the Rogue Cronus Magnum III, the Galion TS120 and the LTA Z40+i with sound samples and a reference. I listened and thought that the LTA was the best with the Galion second although it was a closer second than it should have been given the price differential.

So, anyhow, my questions are whether anyone has bought this or knows about it and/or has some thoughts about it.

dz13

I expect Doge10 had supply chain issues for their components or possibly even infringed on some design patent from another company.

Who knows but Thomas is in Canada and seems keen on addressing customer concerns so for those of you who wish please support his start up business.

For me personally and for some feedback, I do not like lots of bells and whistles with tube gear. Keep it simple. That is why I do not buy PrimaLuna with the auto bias. I have seen a similar circuit go haywire in a tube guitar amp and bake the power tubes (Carol Ann Amps).

My flavor of the month is Icon Audio. Yes they have been around for a while and UK based. Really enjoying the 300B and Stereo 40 models. Highly resolving tube amps with simple reliable operation.

Post removed 

I am sure it is a very nice amplifier and sounds very good.

But I will never own an auto bias amp ever again (not meaning fixed cathode bias). Or one with a digital control of bias etc.

I would rather not risk a runaway tube if the circuit fails. Or even burning my house down if I forget to turn it off while away and the autobias circuit runs out of control.

Give me a meter and adjustment pots every time or fixed bias. And a set of HT fuses are a nice addition.

Speaking as an engineer and someone who has built many tube amps...even some from scratch.

I saw up above regarding Nola Boxer S3 and Cayin A88T. I own both brands and different models. I was running Nola Contenders S3 with the Cayin A*88T. It’s simply a sweet pairing. The Cayin is built on tried and true circuitry. A Marantz Model 7 pre amp and the McIntosch 275 amp. My friend is riunning his Contenders S3 with the Cayin. He’s ecstatic. I run Nola Metro Gold3 and VAC Sigma 160SE. That’s on another league. The end of the road for me. Damn, when I listen to his system, the Nola sound and Cayin musicality,It’s engaging, I miss it when I hear it. Full disclosure I own alot of equipment! 3 Cayin Amps, 3 pairs of Nola speakers and a hell of alot more. I gave my friend the Nola Contenders told him to buy the Cayin A88T. When I go to his house I miss those Contenders. At a show I hears Nolas Metro Gold3 with the VAC sigma160SE. I cut to the chase and bought that combo. 10 years to save, my end game. 

Post removed 
More to discover