TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

I recently purchased the TEAC UD-701N and I am extremely pleased with its excellent qualities, particularly the transparency of vocals, resolution, and clarity. The unit is currently in the burn-in process, so I anticipate even further improvements in these aspects. Will keep you updated!

@vinylcat Out of curiosity do you use Multi bit PCM or 1 Bit DSD? :) 

@celestial__sound 

Nice to hear you went with the UD-701N.  (my dealer has mentioned it's been very popular with his clients, as well.)

I started out with MB to gauge its sound relative to my Yggdrasil (MB as well).  I have since changed to 1-bit DSD (512).  Both are quite an improvement in all areas.  Some of my favorite demo/test digital music (e.g. Ry Cooder - Talkin' Timbuktu...) is really impressive via 1-bit; seemed to add even more depth and clarity to this incredible recording.  l'll experiment a bit more with format and other settings (easy enough), but as of right now I'm inclined to stick with 1-bit.

Well, I bought the TEAC UD-701N, to replace my NT-503.  Anyone who owns the NT-503 knows that it doesn't have access to TIDAL through it native (and wonky) app.  Using it with bubblenup doesn't give access to MQA which I like (don't judge).

Anyway, the short term replacement was a Blusound Vault 2i.  It worked well, but I wanted something more. 

When I purchased the UD-701N and set it up it worked fine.  The TEAC streamer app allows a firmware upgrade from the app and I initiated that process.  It took some time and the wheel kept spinning on my phone, but the unit itself worked.  

A sign of things to come.

When I started using it, both the TEAC streamer app and TIDAL Connect worked fine, and the unit sounded great.  I am actually a fan of TEAC products, so I was quite pleased.

Anyway fast forward a couple of weeks.  The Networking function no longer works.  Both  TIDAL connect and the native TEAC STREAMER app see the device on the network, and allow me to scroll and select tracks.  But that's it, it wont play.

I get various errors, like "No network connection" or the native app continuously logs me out.  Bubbleupnup tells me that the "action timed out".  

It's so annoying.  

I restarted everything.  I updated the unit, both the firmware and the netware, and did a factory re-set.  nothing works.  Such a shame that blusound can work flawlessly but this unit cant.  

The unit is connected like the blusound was, to an ethernet port on an netgear EXA20 extender.  I have Starlink satellite internet.  The TV, and desktop computer (which i use to stream now - back to square one again...sheesh) all have internet and work fine.   

I'm pissed! 

Having said that, the DAC is the best TEAC DAC I've heard and its mated to a TEAC CG-10M.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

My sympathies. I responded enthusiastically to Bossound early in the thread. Having upgraded from the NT 505 and like you, added the clock. Loved it.  Then qobuz started to misbehave. Here in the uk, there is now no support as TEAC have centralised to Germany. The third party repair centre had no manual and eventually said could not obtain a spare board. 4 months later I got a refund and sold the clock at a loss. I loved the DAC in 1 bit mode. Superb. Will never buy a Shenzhen product again. Now have an Innuos pulse streamer and a musical fidelity DAC, both built in Europe. Hope you can resolve your issues.

@ptatztxt 

No suggestions here, but wondering if you use a local NAS and if that has issues playing as well with the HR Steeam or other controllers?

(I ask as I have only used my 701 via NAS and haven't yet run into any issues.)

I certianly hope you can resolve your connection issues...