Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

Not sure 8k video gives you other benefits aside from resolution like high resolution audio give you other benefits like sustained envelopes (a bell will ring longer).

@thespeakerdude You are right to say that a recording done with a dummy head has to be listened to on headphones, your job is to figure our why. All the directional information for a soundstage is in a binaural recording how come smart guys like you can't reproduce that on speakers with accurate time alignment, not from the speakers standpoint but from the brains standpoint. 35 years ago I went to and AES convention and one of the vendors was showing what they said was new technology in speaker object placement they said they had taped into what they called -head tones- to make it possible. Do you remember that at all it seemed to never really catch on but the demonstration was amazing we wore headphones and were given a haircut it really felt like we were all getting a hair cut simply through the sound. 

You can do it with speakers you just need your head in a clamp. Fails quite miserably at the human factors aspect of product design. Small movements off the centerline of your head destroy timing. No way around that except head tracking which there have been a few systems demonstrated. 

Lipshitz? proposed something with two additional speakers near your head on either side. 

Want to try something fun? Do you have open air headphones? Put headphones on, turn the main speakers off and run your subs up to 100-120hz.

@thespeakerdude thanks for the answer, I'm going to look into this more. I have probably 50 sets of headphones one must be open can't wait to do your test. 

@thespeakerdude Thank you for that great DPA article about surround sound formats, DPA is also one of the very best microphone companies anywhere. This article and the YouTube video with it highlights the futility of microphone stacks of any type. 

So we have to put on headphones every time we watch a movie, we could incorporate 3D and speakers in a standard headphone / glasses setup, Or we use our phones to set up a grid around our head that would allow lasers can send sound right in your ears, phones already grid your face, no problem. Next problem.

So my next movie, the camera is a head and shoulders the microphones are literally in the ears of the mannequin the eyes would be 50mm camera lenses. the head could be set on camera dollies and steady cams. When you watch the movie you would be a person in the story always with your POV. The movie would have to be watched with 3D glasses and headphones. Would this give an extra dimension into the story?