Hagerman Trumpet MC (12AX7 Tube Suggestions)

I have recently acquired a Hagerman Trunpet MC and I am extremely pleased with it.

Desire to assemble some 12AX7 sets of (Almost) NOS Tubes to Tube Roll. 12AU7 positions are purchased but the 12AX7 Tubes are a minefield and somewhat costly after my research.

First question; Have any Owners here used the 5751 Tube in the 12AX7 positions?

Second question; Have any Owners here had any sonic success with 12AX7 USA Brands such as Sylvania as an example. I am reading mixed longevity views on the RCA Blackplates and not many good comments on the GE types.

I am very gunshy on the Re-Issue 12AX7 Tubes also.

I primarily listen to Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Folk, and some Classical.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

djohn

Sovtek 12AX7LPS are said to be excellent and available. Nothing wrong with Sylvania, etc. TFK are the best but there are many counterfeits. I’d replace 12AU7 with 12FQ7 if the Trumpet has a 12V filament supply or with 6FQ7 if a 6V filament supply.

I have rolled Amperex 12ax7's and RCA Black plates in my Trumpet. I have gone back and forth between those and the "Stock" Mullards. When I put the "old" tubes in compared to the "new" sometimes I say "ah that's fantastic", but I also say the same thing when I roll in the new mullards.

I did roll some old RAM 12au7's that have stayed put. 

Currently I am running the Amperex in the "2nd" position and the New Mullard in the first. Does it make a difference? Not 100% convinced, but that's where I stopped....for now.

Also I seem to think that Jim Hagerman has done extensive testing not only of his gear but of what tubes make his gear sound best. That's why the Mullards keep sticking around for me. They are a touch more noisy than the Amperex but that's splitting hairs at a loud, late at night bourbon drinking level. (Not advised to be testing like that :-) Soundstage seems to be the same for all sets of tubes.

Also I have read the Mullard 12ax7 is a "better" tube than the Sovtek LPS. By better I mean same tube just better specs. I may be wrong on that but I got down a pretty good russian tube rabbit hole a few months back and that stuck with me. 

All that to say I have also rolled a set of RCA 5751 in the Trumpet. Was not bad. Didn't floor me. Definitely had to turn it up a notch.

Have fun, its a great hobby :-)

db

Can’t go wrong with Amperex, the older the better. (As long as the test good)

I have two old Dynaco branded Telefunken black smooth plate 12ax7’s, two old Dystrom branded Mullard Blackburn 12ax7’s, and two old CBS Hytron black plate 12au7’s.

Sounds great. A wonderful mix in the Trumpet after trying a few.

The 12au7 choice makes a difference with your 12ax7 choices.