TEAC UD-701 vs NT-505 vs ?

I stream Quboz and Tidal via a Bluesound Vault 2. Vault transmits to Parasound JC2 to modded A21 to Vandersteen Quatro CTs. (See my profile for complete description of system.) Happy, really very happy, with Vault 2 but it is likely best point at which to upgrade my system.

Considering TEAC NT-505 ($2K) and new TEAC DAC/streamer UD-701 ($4K), which has some very attractive features: in-house-built discrete Delta-Sigma DAC with FPGA circuity, dual-mono signal path, four separate power supplies... Have seen enthusiastic reviews for NT-505 from owners here. Only one review by Moon Audio out about UD-701, and they are not an uninterested party. Curious if any out there have heard UD-701?

Open to other suggestions, including used with roughly $6K price ceiling. See TMR has used Aurender A-10s for sale. Used PS Audio Direct Wave DAC with bridge is another consideration, although I have seen owners comment negatively about the bridge.

Not wed to DAC/streamer combo but that has appeal to me because it eliminates a box, connecter, and power cord, all of which add to cost and connector makes signal path less direct.

Also not wed to SS but a tube DAC appears to me to introduce an additional source of distortion into my otherwise SS system, so it will then be affected by both SS and tube distortion.

Thoughts?

Bosssound

128x128bosssound

celestial,

i did my own comparison, too (UD-701N & N-05XD), and from what I can tell, spec-wise, is that the Esoteric has more headphone power.  Call me cynical, but on the surface at least, it looks like one might be paying ~$6K for a nicer housing and faceplate.  I gather there’s more to it than that…there must be, right?

That said, I like the design of the TEAC.  The NT-505x is a solid little guy itself, and the UD-701N comes in at 26 lb…a good hunk of DAC.

Can’t wait to hear it at home, as I’m contemplating a new streamer, new DAC, or a new DAC/Streamer like the 701.

I had both DAC’s at the same time. I liked the 701 very much but bought the N-05XD and compared. I kept the 05 in my main system and sold the 701 as my second system didn't need a DAC. As good as the 701 is the 05 is an another level. JMO

tony

Hi @mantis007

Could you please describe what was better on the N-05XD, was it day and night difference? Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the N-05XD should be on another level but I'm also curious weather the 701 is miles away or share the same DNA with N-05XD

@celestial__sound  similar DNA but the 701 stops short on spatial retrieval. The 05 soundstage in bigger in every direction, it digs deeper into the music, the specificity of instruments/voice in the stage is better on the 05 as is dynamic contrast. The 05 clearly sounds a bit more realistic to me and is just better everywhere when compared side by side - but at 2.5 times the cost. Since I had the choice and didn't need another DAC for my seldom used 2nd system I kept the 05. All this is of course to my ears and in system etc..  :)