Convincing your local dealer to let you try speakers at home

So, I had a great experience listening to some Devore 0/96 speakers yesterday. The challenge for me is that the room I heard them in is wildly different than any other room I’d ever listen in. (I’ll share a photo, below.) I really have no idea if spending $13k plus on these speakers would work out. I’d need to try them at home.

For all I know, these dealers might be ok with me trying some speakers at home. I don’t know and am not yet ready to ask.

But I’m curious whether folks here have any stories to tell about the reactions they’ve gotten when they’ve asked to try speakers at their home. If you have a story, especially if it’s a more expensive speaker, I’d love to hear your story. How did you convince them? If they turned you down, what was the reason? Did you agree?

128x128hilde45

@kevn

Your analogy of a person putting together a car… like choose an engine, a transmission, body and assemble them to be a great car. Excellent. There are so many variables, like weight distribution… it would be really hard for a hobbiest to put together in an optimal configuration. Choose the very best engine, best transmission, and best body… I bet a disaster.

Also interesting that after over fifty years of pursuing high end sound (constantly restricted on funds), and having heterogeneous components, that I find myself with an all Audio Research system… sounding better than anything I have heard before… to my ear.

@ghdprentice 

sounding better than anything I have heard before… to my ear.

May I ask why you appended "to my ear" as a qualifier to your last remark? I ask this out of respect for your experience in the hobby. It would seem that adding that qualifier is done to prevent the interpretation that you are asserting your gear sounds better objectively. But since the only way to judge it would be with your own ears, it seems odd to add that remark. Is there another reason? Do others you play your system for not hear the improvements you hear? Is there something idiosyncratic about how you hear your system as compared to how others hear it?

I'm interested in why there is seems to be a reflex defensiveness in this hobby about how things sound. But you might have been saying something else.

@rsf507

curious if companies did home demos then why need a dealer network? Are you suggesting a company that is located in CA ship a speaker to someone in FL then fly out to do the setup? I would imagine this type of scenario would raise the price of the component by hundreds if not thousands of dollars

No of course I’m not suggesting such an extreme example. I’m only stating the fact that if you want to do a demo well, you have to be there. Room and placement are a huge part of the sound. Without that, people often end up buying a speaker that is the opposite of a room (room is bass light, so "demo winning" speaker is bass heavy; room is highly reflective with a lot of glass, the best demo speaker is dark with less top end ). This is the value of a local dealer, they can come to you. Or you can experiment with their facility and determine how the speakers you currently own sound in their demo spaces, then compare to other speakers.

@hilde45

Yes many companies do send loaners, including several of the dealers that sell ATC for us. All the folks you mention have significant sales and are later businesses. If you are smaller, independent, or your main focus is more expensive high end speakers (over 5K), it could be quite different. Typically these sellers do a home demo locally by doing it themselves.

How about this: Would a customer fly out to a demo room that is set up properly? This is not as difficult, RT airfare could be reasonable and controlled by the customer. If the customer buys the speaker you refund his airfare.

Brad

@hilde45

To my ear, was a requirement. The number of times I have been in audio sessions with other folks… let’s say, midrange Magico (so what is that… $70K), driven by $50K amp… and I wanted run out of the room screaming with my hands clasped over my ears. They are lapping it up like it is the best thing since great cognac. The number of audiophiles that are dedicated to scraping the last layer of detail off of the media… without concern for natural sound and musicality is quite surprising to me. Some folks continually chase a sound that seems cleaner with more slam without concern that it sounds real… some folks just like switching equipment. Then there are the Mac folks that want the midrange and bass to push them back in their seats, details and balance not that important. None of this is wrong… it’s a passionate pursuit.

Few people have heard my system, and those that have (5?) all love it. My dealer is actually at the top of the list. He occasionally brings over high end equipment to hear on my system since he and I appreciate the same aesthetic. Just for fun, we brought over one of his employee, to get his take. He turned it up twice as loud as I had ever had it… sounded great… but too loud. Anyway, he thought it sounded OK. Exactly, what I thought he would say… a young’ in. Still into detail and slam. He hasn’t yet realized that rhythm and pace… and musicality is the core essence of a great system.

@ghdprentice Thank you for elaborating. It does seem, from your second paragraph, that what you hear as good is also enjoyed by those who hear your system. You have taste, and others can appreciate your version of taste. Be well.