Ordered a Willsenton R300

Everything I have read about this 300b tube amp has been very positive, particularly Steve Huff's review on his website.  I have always thought I would love the sound of 300b tubes and this is my chance to get one for a very modest price.  It ought to drive my Spatial Audio M4 Triode Masters very nicely.  I will report back my impressions of the amp when it is fully revealed to me. 

whitestix

@garyalex 

Also, I'm using the R300 as a power amp only.  While it sounds great as an integrated, I have a Cary SLP-05 preamp that's just too good not to use.  The combination is amazing.  My first 300B purchase has worked out

I am happy this has turned out so well for you.👍

Charles

Two weeks in and counting for the R300. Honestly, I enjoy the sound beyond my expectations for an amp at this price point. I ran it as an integrated for 5-6 days to get my Forte IV's dialed in and to get a sense of space. The music was alive and palpable. So far the amp seems to be a great match for the speakers. I inserted my Primaluna Dialogue Premium pre and ran the R300 as a power amp. This was not a subtle change and it took a bit to understand what I was hearing. The sense of realism increased. The spaciousness increased. I wanted to warm the voices and boy, did that do it. The sound is not fatiguing. I feel that I am hearing the music as the musicians wanted it heard. The bass is tight, real, and not boomy. The mids are - well, I'm running Klipsch Heritage speakers. I'm not hearing the brightness I heard with the KR Antares (albeit with different speakers). Right now I am running all stock tubes with the exception of a pair of Mullards in the pre. I have some tube rolling ahead of me but I could live with what I have now for a while without regret. This has been a promising purchase so far. I hope those of you who bought the amp are enjoying it as much as I am.

@rickybrandt 

It is clear that the Willsenton 300b SET is revealing and preserving the pure beauty of the music you love. Excellent outcome for you. Yes, you mentioned realism. That's what a good SET can do so well.

Charles 

Do you pay customs fees when ordering from China Hifi?  If so, approx how much are they?