Klipsch forte II what league are they in?

Read some good things on the net about these. Fine, but do these play in the same league as the likes of harbeth, proac and reynaud or are they just a really good, middle of the road, fun, plays loud, good bass, economical, musical, party speaker? Are they a serious audiophile speaker by comparison with the others?
catsmeow
They are great cinema speakers. If driven with the right electronics they can sound pretty musical as well.

As far as what league they are in I would say the big leagues for movies and in the middle of the pack for music.
I just picked up a pair of these to use with some SET amps I'm building.

I used to HATE Klipsch speakers, but thought I'd give them a try anyway.

They are kind of temperamental and must be matched with the right amp & cables. Tubes are best.

They didn't sound that great with my Berning 270 on low feedback, but on High/Normal feedback they sounded great! They also sounded really, really good with the 2 wpc output from my Bottlehead SEX amp. (building the 8 wpc Paramounts).

Adding Cardas SE 11 cables (made especially for high sensitivity speakers) improved the sound even further.

Over at the Klipsch forums I was directed to a guy named Bob Crites who sells replacement titanium tweeter diaphragms (only $50 pr).

Huge improvement in the tonal balance and smoothness of the speaker and only took 15-20 min to install the diaphragms.

On Bob's advice I also replaced the caps in the crossover with Sonicaps and had another nice improvement in soundstage width, depth, and definition.

I'd say they are up there with the some of the better speakers. I like them and the wife likes them too which is rare that she said anything at all about them.

She usually ignores my stereo adventures but gave an unsolicited thumbs up to these speakers.
TR
I have a pair of Fortes I bought when I was in the army in teh 80s. I love those speakers. Can't bear to sell 'em. I've had a number of pairs of speakers since then but the Fortes are not bad. Mid-fi is about right. I think you have to like the horn sound. But I use them in my second system now and everyone says Klipsch sound good with tubes so I'm thinking about buying tube amp for them. Still for what good ones go for on ebay 500~700 dollars you can't really go wrong.