Goodbye CD's

Seems that Borders by me is unloading all their cd's..They claim they are just not selling...Im sure this is just the beginning of the end in the retail stores for cd's...can it long before cd's are gone completely? Many Ive spoken with including some dealers have mentioned this and said "the writing is on the wall" for cd playback..

I have been on the fence about going to a file data system for music, and have been eyeing a Squeezebox duet and setting up my hard drive to take the plunge..maybe now its that time??

Or..maybe just Im just a geezer in my heart of hearts and should just look for old and new Vinyl to keep me going...hmmm..I could be very happy with a mainly vinyl set up ;-)
128x128kehut
can it long before cd's are gone completely?

It can be long before CD's are gone completely - just as Vinyl has not completely gone...
I hope thats the case. My thoughts are that while the mid fi/ mass market retail chains do away with them since the kids are not buying them as much..the Hi end places such as AA and MD for ex. will continue to sell to us Audiophools ;-)
I too have noticed Borders CD stock dwindling, at least you can get some good deals if you are a member of their Rewards program. Just today I got three of the new Lyrita CD's for 40% off the $15.99 regular price. I've been watching the change for a while and was surpised they got the Lyrita's since they are a new release. Like Kiwi says, CD's won't go away, but I sure hope they don't double or triple in price like most LP's have! Might be forced to buy from the internet now, but it's just not the same as a brick and mortar store....
I loved borders selection but I didn't like the $18.99 for a cd that retails for $13.99... pricing... Best Buy doesn't have any selection anymore, Circuit City is a mess for selection... looks like Amazon is going to win on this one..