Wadia 7 and Levinson 30.5 vs Todays CD Players

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering how my Wadia 7 CD Transport and Mark Levinson 30.5 DAC compare with Todays CD Players/DACs. I am comparing redbook playback not SACD.

Thanks,
Russ
rhohense
I think the real difference today is what you can build as server instead of using a dedicated CD transport. For less than $10K you can have a Mac Pro computer with Apogee Rosetta / Big Ben that will hold over 5,000 uncompressed CDs. The sound quality of this server equals that of my Wadia SE transport, but has the ability to instantly access any track on thousands of CDs.

As far as DACs go, I agree that the improvements have reached the level of taste as opposed to quantum leaps in performance. For me, I love the sound of Wadia DACs, so I use the AES/EBU output of the Apogee Rosetta to feed my digital front end that ends up going through Wadia 27xi DACs. If you are happy with the sound of your 30.5 (I’m not familiar with it) then I’d strongly encourage you to consider adding an uncompressed, low jitter digital server to feed it.

Cheers,
Dean
Dean358

I understand the need for fast access to media, trust me I'm a crestron programmer and we are dealers for Audio Request and kaleidescape. But I don't want to spend more money unless the quality is going to be better. I was thinking about getting the new wadia itransport($350) that takes the digital signal from your ipod and send the digital singal into my levinson 30.5. I'd probably only use it for parties. I can put .wav files onto my ipod. I'm sure its not the quality of a Apogee Rosetta and Big Ben but its a party.

I was thinking of buying a Placette Passive Linestage, anyone using this?

Thanks,
Russ
Hi
I use a Wadia 7 and tweaked out Audio note 5 Dac, it rules - PERIOD. Solid state dacs are sonically the sum of their parts and it's very easy to hear that dead, dry, cold, hard, soul less sound no matter the make - therefore Wadia Dacs I'm not a fan of - but their earlier transports using the Teac VDRS system are a different matter.
All this said, don't be folded by MAC / PC / HD sources either, (the current flavor of the month etc) on paper it may make sense but as we know physics dictates that 'things' don't sound how they measure ! e.g vacuum tubes.
I've even gone to testing out more 'modern' transports that use PC floppy drives and believe me - you can hear what's missing. The Wadia 7 is like the Garrard 301, potentially dated in the eyes of many whom believe much of the audio press garbage that's put out there to keep punters neurotic and therefore buying - but partnered with the right equipment it's possibly one of the best still available. Don't take my word for it though, borrow a 7 and the best Audio Note Dac you can and see for yourself.