SUT - electrical theory and practical experience

Some vinyl users use a SUT to enhance the signal of the MC cartridge so that it can be used in the MM input of a phono stage.  Although I don't understand the theory behind it, I realize that a SUT should be matched individually to a particular cartridge, depending on the internal impedance of the MC, among other things.  

Assuming an appropriately / ideally matched SUT and MC, What are the inherent advantages or disadvantages of inserting a SUT after the MC in the audio chain?  Does the SUT theoretically enhance or degrade the sound quality?  What does the SUT actually do to the sound quality? 

Thanks. 

drbond

I ask this question strictly for my own education and interest in this thread from a science point of view.  I have no opinion.  Having taken college level physics I understand the principal, windings,  etc.  As far as audio SQ  though, would it be safe to say that it should be a perfect conversion as long as they dont have frequency/phase dependent properties?  Is there a physics reason to think they are dispersive?  If they can be, then the materials, construction, etc matter.  Then we run down that rabbit hole and in this case yes, they affect SQ unless built in the best possible manner.  In any case it would need to be shielded from EM as that induces a stray current ie noise (actually how they work really).  

not sure you clearly understand the need to use a SUT.

Moving Coil cartridges are different technology than Moving Magnet. MC, the small lightweight coil moves (rather than the heavy magnet moving). Allowing a refined and more accurate signal fidelity (or so most believe to be true).

Lightweight moving coil makes a weaker signal strength. That low signal needs to be MAGNIFIED (not enhanced), just boosted in strength enough to be essentially as strong as a MM cartridge’s strength.

At MM strength, the/any phono signal needs to be ’equalized’ by the industry standard RIAA curve. That is what a ’PHONO STAGE’ does. Phono stage can be a dedicated phono input in a preamp or built into a separate Phono Stage.

Once ’equalized’, it is equal to any LINE level input, i.e. AUX, line 1,2,3 ...

SUTs, MC cartridge (step up transformers), need no power, their internal transformers have alternate windings that modify/boost (but not enhance) the signal strength simply by the specific design of the transformer.

Voltage Transformers are very different. i.e. My Japanese Turntable is designed to run on Japanese standard voltage of 100 volts. I need a STEP DOWN transformer, that converts my USA 110/120 volt down to 100 volts, and I plug my 100 volt TT into it. Those are powered devices.

Step Down transformers exist also. They alter Voltage.

To answer the OP's question re: what does the SUT do to the sound quality...

For what it's worth,I have several phono stages and several active step up devices/ SUTs and generally, the SUTs are quieter and more open (when properly matched etc...)

I currently run a Sunvalley Audio SV-EQ1616D phono stage and ZYX cartridge. The Sunvalley has a built in " FET head amplifier that adds another 25–32dB gain with fixed 50 ohm loading for use with low-output moving-coil cartridges". The MM stage is good, the FET is NO Match for a good SUT. (n.b. the proper load for the cart is +100 ohm). I am using a copper wound SUT in custom housing and sheilding. Best combo I've had since the 70's.

Elliot, in operating principle there is absolutely no difference between your step down transformer and a SUT. The functional difference is only in the respective turns ratios, and also the fact that a SUT has to handle a wide bandwidth whereas the step down always works at one fixed frequency.

lewm

I wanted OP to understand:

cartridge SUTs are PASSIVE, no need to plug them in. And that they boost signal strength by themselves, i.e. boost, not ’enhance’ the signal.

Step Up or Step Down NEED to be plugged in to wall outlets. They also boost/cut voltages and do not enhance signals.

And a Cartridge SUT is working on a phono cartridge signal that goes into the preamp/amp/speaker system

A Step Up/ Down Voltage converter has nothing to do with the audio signal, just proper voltage to the motor.