New AES3/USB interface?

Hey all, I’m looking for a new way to interface my PMC TwoTwo 5 system with my MacStudio. I’ve currently got a Mutec MC-3 +USB unit connecting via AES3 (digital) but I’m having an issue where my PMC units will reset every so often during audio playback. I’ve had both PMC monitors and the sub replaced and I’ve since upgraded from an iMac Pro to the MacStudio — and still seeing this odd behavior. The only thing I can think to try is a different way to interface the PMC system with my computer.

My PMC studio monitors are active with on board DACs

Does anyone know of anything else out there that delivers the same (or better) options as the Mutec? At a minimum, it needs to have AES3, USB and DSD support.

Any help is appreciated 

hedkase

@hedkase-

I would be very surprised if it were cable quality- I’ve pushed $2 USB cables into video processors that were doing more work than that without issue. It’s a weird problem. 
Is the Mac the Master and does the Mac see the Mutec as the device on the other end of the USB interface OR does the Mac see the PMC on the other end of the USB (device/midi control in Mac OS)

@designsfx

My Mac does see the MC-3. Roon shows the MC-3 as the endpoint in the system.

It is a very odd issue and its driving me nuts ;)

I guess I can try that Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 and see if the change in hardware changes anything.

@designsfx 

I've tried all the settings. The only mode I get audio from is INTERN/RE-CLK. I unfortunately don't know much about this unit. It was a means to use these monitors with my desktop in my office.

MC-3 settings

@hedkase-

Ok- thanks for the pic. I may be guessing here but from what I’ve read in the manual it looks like you might have missed a step when setting this up. If not- my fault but it won’t be any worst than it is now!
Have you tried “DE-selecting” the three reference selections and setting the clock output selector to the max sample rate that either is sent via usb OR that of the DAC within each speaker?

It seems that by having the three selections on the reference input column selected the unit is expecting a clock reference from the associated input on the rear of the unit. The manual is not very explanation of just how far the USB input will take you but it seems you’re missing a clock rate (unless that comes on when the unit is operating of course).