Luxman Knockoffs or Counterfeits?

Living in the US, it has been very difficult finding a Luxman on the used market. I see lots of models on ebay selling from Japan. The listings look suspicious to me - different sellers with the exact same photo of the product; sometimes the same photo with one seller naming a different model number than another seller, but using the same photo.    

I found one Japanese ebay seller who seems to be legit, Monotokyo, based on seller reviews, but I am hesitant to rely on ebay seller reviews.  

Does anyone have information about Luxman knockoffs or counterfeits? 

audiojerry

The most favorable exchange rate in 40 plus years for the US dollar against the Yen, so a Luxman EQ500 that retails Stateside for US6,700 is 3,200 retail in Tokyo today and a lightly used example might be around 2,500

but; don’t deal with the Uncertainty, 120V dropped down to 100V is a Disaster, Mr XYZ has GREAT deals locally so… just be patient and the real kicker, for those prices these must be counterfeit!

sure… sure…

G

Okay, I did not have time to read the entire thread; however, there are so many knock off Luxman units that just buying from a United States source does not mean it is an authentic Luxman product.  The buyer MUST contact Luxman to confirm serial number…Even that interaction does not completely confirm the reality…

OK.....Here's the scoop...I have a CD transport that is Japanese and rated at 100v.  We have 110-120v outlets here.These units play fine with a 10 v varience. 100v + 10 v. varience is 110. That's what we have....I think you'll be fine. My is sounding great and I saved a grand.

I purchased a $3.50 turntable mat from eBay once.  It was coming from Japan.  Not a high-ticket item so I figured I would spend a small amount of money to see what it was about.  I never received the item seller said he shipped it but it never arrived.  I communicated with the seller via messaging through eBay trying to get the issue resolved.  After 6 weeks I gave up tried to file a claim with eBay and was told too bad.  I provided them with the correspondence, and I was told that you have to file a claim within 30 days of the purchase date.  So no way would I recommend someone purchase a high-ticket item from eBay particularly one that can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to arrive.

Just sayin.

It's to my understanding Luxman USA will not do any work on these offshore purchased units as well.