Cambridge 840C, YES it is as good as the reviews

Yes, I just received this player and can honestly say this is the first time the review was spot on. This is easily the best bargain in digital audio bar none. This player is in my mind and my musical tastes as good as it gets for under $5k or maybe more with the exception of the Resolution Audio Opus 21. It is that good.

I agree 100% with the review in absolute sound....the highs are to die for, the imaging and spatial presentation is that of a mega dollar player. The only drawbacks I can find is a slight lack in definition of low bass....but I only have 15 hours on the unit!! I fully expect that to clean up over time. This thing is the real deal.........
arbuckle
To put a little perspective (and humour) into this, lets consider what players were -- at one point -- under 5k.
The Lector CDP 7T,X,Y,Z. The Edge player HP reviewed, along with the Bluenote Stibbert (remember that? Vanished! Poof! Somebody threw a good spell -- Disappartus!-- at it, and it no longer graces TAS' pages), Marantz SA11s, Ayrec CX-7E, Musical Fidelity A5, Meridian G08CD (EFG), and the EAR Acute (it's cute!, but it was actually, last time it was mentioned, $5495. Alas, not quite a member of the under 5K club).
SO: does the Cambridge sound superior to all these? In that case, it must: not only image well, BUT, it must Focus (remember, imaging's nothing if you can't tell which direction the piano is facing! You Must, I say MUST, have specificity, focus and 3-3-3D imaging). It must have space (and time) and width (spreading hips??) and depth (like the Appalachians). It must have tender, delicate highs, wispy, etheral and harmonically vivid as a sunset. It must have completely perfect tempee, rhythm and boogie like Chubby Checker, and be as pure as snow on Christmas Eve. It must reveal that the first violinst wears Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear and is wearing Piaget men's cologne. On top of all that, it must be as alive as the Hills-Are-Alive- With-The-Sound-of-Music-Alive.
Who could do all this and still only be...a machine? Paris...ick...Cambridge Audio, the 840C, made by GOD Himself!
Now that we've settled all that, lets be real. Some of us have heard it, some haven't.Some of us who have heard it haven't heard ALL of what it can do, and don't have Wilson Maxx speakers, and don't listen to live music, and don't care what live music sounds like, but like their systems to sound a certain way so they don't like it but the Elixir of Life CD player is faaaaaar superior -- and they just HAPPEN to own that one.
I imagine it's a fine player, except that Harley doesn't listen to rock, so he never mentioned if it can rock, doesn't listen to vocals, so he didn't say it made Ella sound like ELLA!!! (but he does like jazz) and he hasn't heard everything under 5k. His article's pull quote, though, WAS (a bit) foolish: "The best cd player under 5K for....$1499" or whatever the exact wording was. He -- and the magazine -- set themselves up for this. I also imagine it really IS wonderful, but nobody can anticipate "everyone" and what "everyone" looks for. Otherwise, somebody would be perfect, and nothing made by man is perfect. I mean, if the Magico V3, as an example, is so lifelike as to be spooky, why buy a Revel, or, lets aim the gun squarely at Dave Wilson,why buy a WATT at all? Clearly the Magico sounds like real life, and not too much else does, according to TAS. Maybe they're right.
Still..I'm still gonna listen to an 840, and hear for myself what it sounds like. Maybe we all should, just to have a sense of what's even possible at less than 30K. But listen to live music first, so you actually KNOW what a violin, a guitar, a flute, French horn, piano or contrabassoon sounds like.
P.S....Dazzdax, you're a bit wrong about giant killers not existing in High End audio.

Try listening to a pair of Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes and then say that again with a straight face. The Hurricanes are quite dazzling amplifiers, especially back when they were $4400. Their sense of "life" was -- and is -- exceedingly high. To do better would be a very, very expensive proposition, their (very slight) darkness notwithstanding. That's why, 5 years later, HP still has them on his list. Seen anything else,other than the Goldmund Reference, The Infinity IRS, Jadis JA-200, and the Alon Grand References last that long on his list?? I haven't. And for 30 years worth of reviewing, that's a pretty short list. There most certainly ARE giant killers, but, as in fairy tales, they happen only "once upon a time..."
It is hardly surprising the the 840 Azur sounds great, since the Cambridge is using the Anagram technologies processing inside, it's bound to be good. Some of the best players in the world for the last eight or nine years used Anagram - like the Audio Aero he mentioned in his previously-owned list.
Perhaps the technology is less expensive now and is trickling down to lower priced units?
I concur, Golden ears.
I can understand the cynicism about "giant killers." 20 years ago, the most expensive amp was the JA-200, a mere $10,000. Now, they're up to $100,000+ ??? It seems absurd.

And TAS, for whom I once wrote, recently wrote up the RMAF event, and in their "mid-priced" section, they mentioned $10,000 integrated amps. They've lost their (collective) minds, although I can understand that they're simply reporting facts. Nonetheless, to say ANYTHING that costs $10,000 comes in the "mid-priced" section is absurd, although I doubt that the individual writer used that headline.
So, to have a component, that, like the Antique Sound Lab Hurricanes, which cost $4,400 5 years ago, but sounded so spectacular that HP Himself (!!!) posited that he wouldn't have been surprised to see a $20,000 price tag on them, come around in digital is bound to cause controversy, regardless of its (technological) pedigree. I've seen people compare it to the Rega Saturn and say the Saturn sounds superior. It's more of a reaction to Robert Harley's review. Like an "American Idol" contestant, people want to see him eat his words. Frankly, I don't. If he found something that can compete -- and in many, many categories -- with components $3-5k higher priced, that is cause for rejoicing. It means that there is a company who has decided that they can sell hundreds more at $1,499.99 than $4999.99, which is wonderful. It is positively appalling -- and exciting -- to see a new surge in high quality components, but MUST it cost so much more than 20 years ago? This surpsasses the rate of inflation by multiple hundreds of percent. I suppose it can be put down to R&D, but really!! -- High End is reaching levels of price gouging equivalent to the distance in height between the Empire State Building and Valhalla.
So, I'm pleased about the Cambridge.
And by the way, I bought a brand new one yesterday. For something with a mere 24 hours on it (started at 3pm yesterday, and it's now 3:28 pm), it's doing pretty damned good. And this on an Arcam FMJ 22, not the best component for microdyanmics, "sweetness," musicality and soundstaging. I purposely read while I was listening to the Mercury CD The Firebird, and I have never looked up more often, hit "pause" and then rewound. In fact, I listened to the whole symphony and it was over before I knew it. This thing is GOOD, real, real, real, real GOOD!!!