Blu Ray player versus CD/SACD player.

No info on my system, just a general, straight-up question for those that would like to offer some general, straight-up input.

I have a decent analog system, but when listening to CDs or SACDs I have been using a hold-over from my home theater days, an Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray player which can play a variety of discs, including switching between PCM and DSD.

I have been very happy with the Oppo but now it’s getting a little long in the tooth, I’m wondering should I stick with it or start researching a CD/SACD stand-alone player for my digital discs?

Should I get a unit that specializes in music playback or stick with the Oppo as “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Will I notice a difference between the Oppo and a unit that is built for primary music purposes?

Just looking for a general sense of peoples thoughts, especially those that have maybe made a similar switch?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ian the BigE

ianhorseman

I have about 400 CDs and about 30 SACDs.
Its only in the last 2-3 years when I have really been getting into Classical have I been actively seeking SACDs. Certain classical labels still issue this format, so it definitely is not dead! However, as many people have pointed out there are other options out there to listen to high quality digital formats, which in some ways has resulted in my creating this initial post.

I also sometimes listen to these in surround mode also, but this remains an occasional desire, and results in my switching some cables to pass things thru my AVR, which is still present in the rack but gets minimal use in recent years.

This is where my overall conundrum comes in……should I stick with physical media (in which I have a huge history and feel very comfortable with) or go streaming, HDD, etc?

All the info, feedback, and questions raised have all been great and have helped me starting to narrow down what my main interests/requirements are.

Keep ‘em coming!

E

@elliottbnewcombjr thanks for the link to the Sony machine.

I did check it out but have some hesitation about used, unseen components. However, not ruling it out completely and may contact the seller to see what his bottom line is?

@ianhorseman thanks.  I just wasn't sure what the relevance of SACD was these days, but if you can find some used gems out there, and even a few new ones that trip your trigger then good luck to you. 

I'd forgotten that originally SACD were supposed to have surround information in addition to better overall sound quality compared to Redbook CDs. 

It's a pity that Sony tried to control it too much because of their piracy worries and that for the average clueless consumer it never caught on, or we all might be enjoying DSD64 and higher rate physical formats today.  Missed opportunities...

I don't think that a new sacd player is going to get you much better, if any, perceptible sound quality than your Oppo, but I could be wrong, and plus your Oppo doubles as a good bluray player.  I reported above my positive experiences with "lesser" players than the Oppo, so you're probably already sitting pretty good.

Might as well keep it, since you have 400 cds... cds are cheap in thrift stores these days like $1 - 3... I have found many awesome classical selections, top notch, so yeah keep your physical spinner.  

Just add a decent streamer.  Bluesound Node 130 is a decent easy-to-use streamer for starters, $600 done.

Later you can add an outboard DAC that'll take both your Oppo AND your streamer, IF you even decide that you need it...