Blu Ray player versus CD/SACD player.

No info on my system, just a general, straight-up question for those that would like to offer some general, straight-up input.

I have a decent analog system, but when listening to CDs or SACDs I have been using a hold-over from my home theater days, an Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray player which can play a variety of discs, including switching between PCM and DSD.

I have been very happy with the Oppo but now it’s getting a little long in the tooth, I’m wondering should I stick with it or start researching a CD/SACD stand-alone player for my digital discs?

Should I get a unit that specializes in music playback or stick with the Oppo as “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Will I notice a difference between the Oppo and a unit that is built for primary music purposes?

Just looking for a general sense of peoples thoughts, especially those that have maybe made a similar switch?

Thanks for any feedback!

Ian the BigE

ianhorseman

All of this is very helpful as it contains some useful basic things to consider, and there has been none of that “audiophile forum chippiness” that seems to leak into any thread.

I have been going back and forth on……new CD/SACD player versus……..a standalone streamer with internal or external DAC……..a storage type piece to rip all the discs to and using it with a DAC…..etc, etc, etc.

Not sure I’m any further forward, but the responses to date have got me thinking down alternative options. Maybe finding the best, overall single unit which will do it all isn’t achievable. Possibly I need to clarify for myself what exactly I’m trying to do and how best to achieve it.

That might help……duuh!

Or I can just upgrade my speakers?! LOL.

Keep the thoughts coming please, and thanks for the input to date.

E

I went in search of a better CD player, then remembered SACDs, realizing I probably never heard those 20 or so SACd's thru a superior player.

Many here advised OPPO, I tried two OPPOs Marantz; Denon, Yamaha, ... went thru 9 players until I found two I really like

Onkyo Integra CDC 3.4 mark 2 CD Only in second system

Sony xa5400ES, CD/SACD, so good I am enjoying my many CD's, yes the SACD's sound amazing, and I'm buying used CD's as well as LPs.

I will say, I love my Oppo and it has been a great “Jack of all trades!”

But in recent years I’ve moved away from the home theater thing and I’m now immersed in 2 channel stereo. Which is what is prompting my initial question.

these Sony's hold their value, I found one from a person's second system, very little use. This one, seller says/shows only 80 hours use.

I paid $1,000. and thought I got lucky due to low use. Prices of everything have gone up since, $1,300 for essentially open box is an unusual find, perhaps seller will take an offer.

I am very glad I chose it.

How many SACDs do you actually have?  Are you really going to get more?  Is it time to turn to Tidal, instead, and just keep the functional Oppo? Think about that...  

An inexpensive thing to try would be to get an inexpensive CD player, say a Yamaha from Crutchfield which you could return if you want, for example, for less than a couple hundred bucks, and A/B them for CDs... heck even get something off craigslist locally, cheap.  Then, see if you can actually hear a difference; that would be educational...  I mean, I run an old industrial-type Sony CD changer directly into my Marantz Ruby amp and it sounds amazing - everybody who has heard it agrees; I paid $100 for the Sony, used, and it keep chugging along and sounding beautiful all the while, all day long, five discs at a time one after another.  In my other system, I run with a three-cd changer by... JVC!  It's been running reliably for years and years, I bought it used at least fifteen years ago, and again my guests sit up and take notice without me even pointing out my system... they ask about it, without prompting.  (I entertain 16 - 30 guests two or three times per month, low-stakes poker get togethers... some of those low-stakes players are high-income people who just like poker for fun and could afford whatever stereo system they would desire -- the audio-interested ones are consistently taken aback by how little I've spent for the sound I get, when that discussion has come up, so it's not like the JVC ain't cuttin' it).  What I'm saying is that your OPPO might be better than you think, comparatively to expensive new gear, when it comes down to it... 

Likewise, what about trying a new bluray player as your all-in-one... if you don't need the SACD capabilities.  Perhaps a Sony 700 for about $200, or that top of the line Panasonic bluray player for about $1000... get everything all in one.  

That said, I also have a Marantz Ruby CD/SACD/DAC that I recently got, just to match my Ruby amp... it, too, sounds amazing but I haven't had it long enough to really analyze how "much" better than the old Sony it actually sounds in practice in the home not theoretically ... my guess is that for everyday sort of use it would be tough to tell, but in my dedicated listening sessions I'll hear a diff.  But you know what even if I don't hear much of a diff I still like the Ruby thing, it's gorgeous, it's built for a lifetime (although so is that Sony apparently, at 17+ years old and ticking), smooth as silk operations, and the DAC will come in handy for my Bluesound Node 130.