Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

@kota1 The only "bombs" going off around here are truth bombs. Dude, I am only trying to save you some dough, unlike some people at ASR I don’t need your advice,

I disagree about truth bombs being activated. There is a great deal of second hand womens kinda gossip - hence my surprise when you admitted that you did not know about the PA5 debacle.

No, you don’t need my advice to steer clear of idle gossip and hearsay, you are well prepared to contribute as a keyboard warrior.

noske,I think that is a sexist comment "womens gossip". I am really surprised, shame, don't ever criticize someone using a term like chi-fi, just unbelievable you would post this.

@kota1 Of course it is sexist. Get over it. In my current occupation I work with 40 women and 4 men. Women are light years ahead of us naive blokes being able to get away with un-corroborated gossip. True by definition.

I log on to AG and see, oh, I’m back at work.  More women pretending to be men.

Admittedly hip-hop sounds terrible played over high end equipment, need a ghetto blaster for that.

A $5000 wrist watch doesn’t show better time than a $5 one. Still they are sold. So yes ... some people are snobs, and over spenders. But hey ... if someone likes to buy it and is happy with his purchase all is well, isn’t it.

And if there are people who like to warn that some ’high end’ audio equipment have false (marketing) claims and some is 100x higher priced than the net worth of the components used, than that’s OK too, isn’t it?

OK, time for a question:

Suppose we have an amplifier that measures absolutely perfect, never seen better:

• 1 - 100 kHz absolutley flat within 0.1 dB
  • 0.00001 distortion
  • perfect square wave and pulse response

Will it sound good? Well ... it has to be the best, cleanest, absolute neutral sounding equipment we ever heard.

But will we like it?

Probably some will, but others may not, because:

• We’re not used to such a perfect, objectively neutral, sound. Our audio memory is trained over the years and has certain expectations, and this deviates.
  • Chances are a bit of coloration, or THD, or both, may sound more pleasing. Which is why many prefer tubes, or vinyl, with their measurable deviant sound signature.
  • It’s not for nothing that there used to be a ’Loudness’ switch and a Bass & Treble control on amplifiers. These got eliminated with high end equipment because, hey, we do have our pride! But actually, with lower SPL a bit of extra low and high would be pleasing.

Conclusion: perfect measurement results not necessarily mean it sounds pleasing. And, ’pleasing’ is very subjective. Yet, equipment designers will use measurements and will strive for good numbers first ... from there the tweaking may start.

And, if a manufacturer promises improved jitter but measurements show nothing has improved, than that’s a scam.