What's Up with Magnapan at Shows?

Years ago, Magnapan presented an amazing 5.1 classical music presentation with Audio Research. Beautiful music, awesome sound, no gimmicks. Now every show they play the Wizard of Oz game with something behind a curtain.

I don't get it....just play music and let the consumer decide!
jeff1225

At this year's CES, Magnepan showed how their smallish bass diaphragm panels could serve in place of the larger Timpani panels from years back. The presentation spoke to customer concerns (well, mostly customer wife concerns) about adding additional large panels into a room to improve low frequency balance. The bass diaphragms were on display, not hidden behind a screen - you might have overlooked them as one was disguised as a small side table.

Overall, they took more of a conceptual perspective on bass response and room integration rather than a product-selling focus. While Magnepan like to give a focused rather than free-for-all presentation, I had absolutely zero sense of rudeness - quite the contrary. And the sound was excellent.

Magnepan CES 2013

@ Josh358

The 3.7 does not put out as much bass as the previous models!

Look at Magnepan's published specs:

MG IIIa 32Hz to 45 KHz +/- 3 dB

Mg 3.6 34Hz to 45 KHz +/- 4db

Mg 3.7 37Hz to 45Khz +/- ??? Hz

That says it all, the 3.7 bass response is not as low!

Probably due to back EMF interference in the series crossover.

Google Series Vs Parallel Crossover for info.

Mark Winey wanted the crossover small enough to fit inside the speaker, and
eliminate the external box, and that was a design tradeoff!

There are many posts and reviews on the internet about lesser bass on the 3.7.

Now they want to sell another panel to bring back the missing bass.
The difference in the published specs between the 3.7's and 3.6's are I'm sure accurate, and the difference may well be in the crossover. I can tell you that I am most happy to give up a little between 37 and 34 hz in order to receive the benefits of the new crossover. The new series crossover is much smaller, but it is a much better crossover in many ways. In either case, if you want to fill out the 20 to 40 hz region you are going to need a sub.
I'm not privy to their R&D department's doings but the .7 series is pretty darned good.
The demos at the shows are timed so they don't keep the next group of people waiting which would be rude.
The dealers have the luxury of handing you the remote control and letting you take your time, shows are different.
Sounds like there are some axes to grind in this thread. Kind of weird, in an industry of manufacturing components in China, you have a company that has refused the temptation for big profit increases to stay in the US. Haters gonna hate I guess.