Chord M-Scaler and Should I Want One?

I have an Innuos Zenith Mk3 server/streamer feeding an Innuos PhoenixUSB reclocker, which feeds my Gryphon Diablo 300’s DAC module.  I am connecting these with Audioquest Diamond USB cords.  I love the sound of this combo. 

I know the Chord M-Scaler doesn’t support the max upsampling when connecting non-Chord DAC’s, but I’ve read in multiple places that it still makes a big improvement.

Are others using the M-Scaler with non-Chord DAC’s and if so what has your experience been?

As an aside I see the M-Scaler only allows for the tiny low-voltage power cord.  I find this surprising since I find that an aftermarket premium cord improves my Innuos USB reclocker very noticeably (but not as noticeably as using premium cords with my Innuos streamer). 

nyev

The fellow reports M-Scaler works well with Mytek Brooklyn Dac (but not Denafrips Ares ii) in several areas: (1) vast increase in SS depth / width and image focus (2) increase in low end quality w/ deeper bass and better texture and (3) more natural vocal.  I guess everyone's mileage may vary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBvvDoAiBAI&t=486s

@lollipopguild , yep probably right.  And what about these:

Jim Beverage:  Master Blender at Jonnie Walker

Doug Bowser:  The Boss of Nintendo.  (Bowser is the evil boss in Super Mario Brothers).

@herman, thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes I agree the jitter control and upsampling benefits can be solved in high end DACs instead of using these sorts of boxes. But, money. I need more of it to get a DAC of that caliber, premium power cord, and premium interconnect. Ideally I’d have an Innuos Statement and a Chord Dave or something. But again, money…The PhoenixUSB box defining helps me get my digital chain a lot of the way there with a lesser streamer and a lesser DAC.

Also, I’ve not mentioned this. Terry’s Gryphon Diablo 300 review (Pursuit of Perfect System) mentioned that the Diablo DAC module has a weighty, energetic, “live” quality to it. But also noted it could not keep up with Chord TT2 + M Scaler with detail clarity and focus. He noted that the TT2 and M Scaler lost this “live” scale factor. While the Diablo DAC module is a lesser DAC vs pricier standalone DACs, I like its character, which is synergistically matched with the Diablo 300 amp, just as Terry also noted. So in this respect, there value in being able to keep this character of the DAC while compensating for some of its shortcomings with the PhoenixUSB. The M Scaler however creates more jitter again though, as confirmed by Rob Watt, and to me that seems like it would undo what my PhoenixUSB does, which is remove jitter.

@lollipopguild , too funny.

Just remembered I also knew a guy who was in construction with the last name Swinghammer.