A Streamer or Dedicated DAC With McIntosh MX110Z???

Would like to add a streaming device to my McIntosh MX110Z. Speaking with McIntosh I learned only a  device with fix level outputs is the preferred way to go because of the internal preamp with the streamers..Cambridge Azur 851N as a example.

This is where I need help. Am I to assume all streamers have variable outputs? Or can some variable outputs on certain streamers be set to fix level output?

Then comes the question of using a stand alone DAC which I would connect a IPAD or such device to instead of a music streamer.

Which is best, stand alone DAC or music streamer ( if possible)?

Is  anyone doing this with a MX110Z, if so what worked best?

Thanks to one and all.

128x128medialies

My Oh My, what a great story, give her a big smile from me.

I've got a great Donna story, I'll write it soon.

OP,

Great story. My partner (36 years) gives me grief about my audio purchases… but, in weak moments admits I deserve them. She knows how hard I have worked an how much I have given her (thank god she does not like jewelry).  

I decided in the Arcam ST60. I found myself overly researching streamers and in doing so I was straying away from my original intent. Purchasing a solid streamer for MX110 preamp so that I could enjoy the MX110 for what it is. Therefore all the other preamp attributes of any given streamer where just not that important. Although I could add a headphone amp down the line with it.

A solid streamer and good DAC is all I needed, which is what I got with the Arcam. I did not buy the Bluesound because I just didn’t.

Now if I can only get the darn thing hooked up so I can access my Qobuz Library.

Manual truly sucks…no, really…truly does.