What is the added value of a streamer over a networked dedicated Computer

Hi

I see lots of sales pitches for streamers as digital sources, and plenty on this site advocating them. I get that they're a purpose-built user interface but, apart from that convenience, including a visual display on the device, (i) do they really deliver better hi-fi sound as a source over a well set up computer dedicated to hi-fibreoriduction (ii) if so, why?

Here's some background to my question(s). I currently use a dedicated Mac Mini with SSD (headlessly) and Audirvana Plus software through a USB DAC. I tend to listen to digital files on external drives (wired connections). Some are high Definition eg Flac, some are aiff ripped from my extensive CD collection. Currently I only tend to use Spotify etc to test if I like music and invest in actual downloads of the music I like.  In day to day use the Mac Mini/Audirvana Plus (virtual) player is controlled using its remote app on an iPad on the same Network. If I wanted I could add high quality online streaming from, eg, Tidal. Whilst that would expand the breadth of music I have immediate access to, it seems to me to add another potential source of interruption/corruption of data flow. The Audirvana software overrides/bypasses detrimental computer audio elements and processes keeping the data path simple and dedicated to hifi audio replay.

So what, sound quality-wise, would a standalone streamer device using NAS or other drive storage and/or online web connection bring to the party? It seems to me it's just a digital device containing effectively the components of a computer with a button (or remote) interface. I understand the old argument that it's dedicated and not doing other things simultaneously and that computers are traditionally electrically noisy environments but I'm currently sceptical that with a dedicated computer, not being used for other purposes, and running a virtual device like Audirvana Plus which effectively switches off internal functions which might compromise sound, this is a real problem. Also it seems that a "dedicated streamer" contains many elements which are effectively computing elements. Note that I have no industry connection or monetary interest from Audirvana or Apple.

128x128napoleoninrags16

So, the data, which represents the amplitude of the music must be correct, and error correction techniques ensure this, but crucially the timing must be consistently spot-on too. That’s why different streamers etc sound different.

The timing in the streamer has absolutely nothing to do with the timing in the DAC. The clock in the DAC is completely independent from the clock in the Streamer and the clock in the Ethernet  switch. .... completely independent

@john737 - For what it's worth, I have Bluesound Node 2I streamer, modified Maverick Audio DAC, Pathos Classic One MkIII (Mullard Tubes), and Focal 836v speakers.  I have heard differences in power cords (on some components) and analog interconnects, but did not hear a difference when I switched digital coax cables.  I personal opinion is that it takes a very good system before the question of streamer vs. computer becomes a question worth answering.  I've heard clear differences among DACs and am actually rather happy that I am not compelled to go further upstream in my system.

@herman

The timing of the Streamer vs the DAC depends on the connection used. If you use the USB connection, then the DAC retimes the bitstream. If you use the S/PDIF or AES connection then the DAC uses the incoming timing. This is why it is important to try both.

My theory is that you should use the better component’s ability to time. I tried both the AES, S/PDIF, USB from my Aurender W20SE and Audio Research CD9SE DAC and found them all to be really… really similar, with the AES slightly better than the S/PDIF. But, I think it depends on your streamer and DAC.

The timing of the Streamer vs the DAC depends on the connection used. If you use the USB connection, then the DAC retimes the bitstream. If you use the S/PDIF or AES connection then the DAC uses the incoming timing. This is why it is important to try both.

agreed. When I'm talking "streamer" I was talking about the device that takes the digital data from the internet and then sends it on to the DAC via ethernet or wifi. Like a Roon Core or similar. If this is better termed a server then I have taken things off track, 

if others were considering it to be the endpoint that takes this stream and converts to a data stream for the DAC via AES or other input other than USB then I apologize for confusing things. With AES or SpDIF I do agree that the streamer clock is therefore very important. 

Thanks for all of these (very different) responses. 
When it comes to hi-fi, I do have much sympathy with the "subjectivist" approach as I think we still struggle to match what can be heard with objective measures or electrical theory. However I still regard digital and electrical understanding and measurement as important adjunctive tools, in part because they are necessary for designing kit, and also as a protection against "snake oil."

The responses above reflect the objectivist/subjectivist angles and I welcome hearing both. Ultimately over the last 40 years of owning and upgrading hi-fi I have always let my ears decide when purchasing gear as neither I nor most people are in a position to actually measure the digital data, inc timing, at various points in the signal pathway. As has been pointed out by one commenter, the "experience" of others who have invested in gear (whether digital or analogue) is likely psychologically biased toward justifying added expense, especially after the event. Yet no doubt many are quite right that their newly bought piece of kit has improved their system. 

It has become clear from the comments that some terms (like streamer/streaming) get used loosely and I am likely as guilty of this as others. It is also clear. That the implementation of computers varies widely, inc from my own usage - not all computers are the same, some are multitasking more than others, and there is a huge difference between outputting analogue through a headphone minijack and digital output, and indeed between the various options to output digital signal to a DAC.

So... as suggested  I need to provide a little more detail of my system and I also should explain further its current usage. I'll do that shortly in a subsequent comment.