NEED TO REPLACE OLD FAITHFUL- WHICH AMP. SHOUD I CHOOSE

27 Years ago I purchased a brand new Audio Research D400 Mk.2 Amplifier. 200 Watts per channel solid state. Last weekend the capacitors blew out. I talked to Greg at Audio Research and he told me they do not work on this model because of it's age and that parts are no longer available. I need to buy a new amp. I have an Audio Research Ref. 5 SE pre amp and use Dali Helicon 800 mk. 2 speakers that are 89.5 efficiency.

The list of amplifiers that I am considering are as follows.

Coda 16, McIntosh MC462, Aesthetix Atlas Stereo, 

On the tube side I am considering,

Zesto Audio Bia120,  VTL S120, Ayon Triton Evo Mono's and maybe Audio Research Reference 160S but that really stretches the budget.

Does anyone have any of these amps?  I would really appreciate your suggestions.  So far I kind of like the Coda 16

motorheadflash

While I am not saying the estimated repair is excessive as I do not know if they are just going to repair the problem or do a full recap of the amp, I recommend that even if you are going to upgrade that you should repair it, if for no other reason than to have a back-up. I have a full set of caps for my ML 23.5 just waiting to go in (amp is used almost daily). For no obvious problem, just age and got the caps (OEM) off eBay for under $200. I have a EE that I have been using recently who has performed magic with some components that I wanted to sell off and units I wanted to keep. If you are in the NY area (LI) can send his info, excellent work, fast turn-around (1-2 weeks) and more reasonable than other shops I had used in the past, including a guy that I used to repair shipping damage on my ARC 5se.

@motorheadflash 

Within the past year I have upgraded from McIntosh monoblocks to the Audio Research 160S. I liked it so much I got the Ref6SE. To be honest, I was a bit nervous but have never looked back. In the future I will add the reference phono stage as well because that’s how happy I am with the tube sound. 

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

WOW Thanks for all the great input. I am still waiting to hear from the repair shop on what is actually wrong with my old amp. I know this service tech. and he will want to do a full repair. I know he will not overcharge me. I have had many pieces of ARC equipment over the years, and have loved them all. This is the first time any of it has broken down. After 27 years I'm not disappointed. Ref. 150SE sounds like a great idea. Although I love the looks of that Accuphase. I will keep you all posted