Does a DAC need a large/strong power supply?

I see these inexpensive DACs on ASR that get great reviews, but people say they're not that good because of a weak power supply. Is this mostly true? Does a DAC sound better with an overkill power supply?

koestner

Are you paying too much?
Easy to determine if you have confidence in your listening ability. You own a DAC which you say sounds great. Presumably it has a high quality well engineered power supply. Why not buy one of the inexpensive excellent measuring DACs touted by ASR and “listen” to it and compare to your DAC.

I don’t think it works that way, unless maybe one brings their own ear phones.

The room and the music have a huge effect, so the idea of being able to AB with an hour or two of time is not going to happen.

@holmz 

I don’t think it works that way, unless maybe one brings their own ear phones.

The room and the music have a huge effect, so the idea of being able to AB with an hour or two of time is not going to happen

I am afraid that I don’t follow your reasoning. If he were to purchase the inexpensive DAC, he owns it. He can then do comparative listening over what ever period of time he chooses. There’s no better way than direct comparison in one’s own audio system.

Charles

I am afraid that I don’t follow your reasoning. If he were to purchase the inexpensive DAC, he owns it. He can then do comparative listening over what ever period of time he chooses. There’s no better way than direct comparison in one’s own audio system.

Charles

Yeah @charles1dad ^that^ works.

The idea of hearing the voices of the angels in a shop, and having that be representative of what one would hear at home is a bit hopeful (IME).
A shop has a total advantage with the room, the content, etc.

But when two units can both be shown to measure well, then it is doubtful that there is a lot left to hear.

But when two units can both be shown to measure well, then it is doubtful that there is a lot left to hear

I understand this is your experience. I “very “ respectfully disagree.
Charles

I assumed we were talking about long term comparisons in one's own system. Quick A/B comparison in audio showrooms won't tell much. Don't want to go in depth on this, but I recall doing the quick A/B comparisons back in the day. Nearly every audio showroom had multiple components on display, all connected to switch board. Salesmen would do the old switcheroo on you, these guys were real magicians in fooling you into preferring most expensive components. This was good learning experience for a couple of budding audiophiles. Ever since then proponents of blind testing regime have caused a chuckle.