MoFi controversy

I see this hasn't been mentioned here yet, so I thought I'd put this out here.  Let me just say that I haven't yet joined the analog world, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

It was recently revealed that Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs one step LPs are being cut from digital masters (DSD) rather than being straight analog throughout the chain.

Here is one of the many Youtube videos that discusses it

To me, it seems that if MOFI is guilty of anything, it's "deception by omission."  That is, they were never open about the process and the use of digital in the chain. 

One thing to mention is that hardly anyone is criticizing the sound quality of these LPs, even after this revelation.  Me personally, I wouldn't spend over one hundred dollars for any recording regardless of the format.

ftran999

Sorry, I have to put in my 2c worth. 
  What’s the deal with the pricing, compared with the original mf pricing back in the 70’s and adjusted for todays prices, the $100 mark is about right. For those who moan and groan, don’t buy new. Buy pre owned. 
  Remember, most of these artists are either dead or to old to make “new” albums, recordings, etc. for example, would you buy a new release of thriller for a hundred dollars? I wouldn’t! I already have 2 sealed and one I listen to. Bought smart for the future. 
  It’s not all about the pressing of the lp. It’s packaging, box art, liner notes, and more. I’m new to streaming, and my wife asked me “where is the liner notes and all the good stuff”. Couldn’t answer.

For those who still complain, think about this. What did direct to disc (Sheffield labs) lps cost back in the 70’s and 80’s? Or ( for those who know gale recordings). Anyone remember Pablo recordings? It wasn’t the 10 or 12 dollars that typically lps cost at that time.

Yes, the technology and tools have changed. Don’t begrudge a company producing a lost product for a fair price. That’s why they are in business. I remember when cds came out to “replace” lps. We all complained. For awhile no one made lps. Never going to come back they said. Well they have. Now some complain about the cost/quality of the product. If that’s you don’t buy . It’s as simple as that.

one final thought, what’s coming in the future of our hobby? Only electronic music? No true musicians, just a computer. For those who haven’t noticed, look at the size of their local symphony orchestra. The last time I went to a concert, the musicians were fewer in number by at least 50%. 
  The thing is , buy what you want, listen to what you want, if you don’t like it don’t ruin it for others by complaining about what you are not going to change. Make it better if you think you can. 
  Sorry for the rant, complainers kind of get to me.

FWIW dept:

I ran an LP mastering operation for about 10 years. LPs get mastered from digital source files all the time. The trick is to make sure that the file you're working with does not contain the DSP stuff that the digital release file does. So you often have to go back to the label and request such a file. The reason is simple: digital release files are compressed since there is an expectation they will be played in a car.

For this reason the LP frequently has greater dynamic range than the CD (or other digital format). About the only way you're going to get that is if you get an LP that was mastered without the compression.

For those that argue that digital has greater dynamic range, why would anyone do that, that sort of thing; in theory yes in practice no.

Also FWIW dept,: master tapes from 50 years ago may no longer exist or might be in dreadful condition. Labels are not always that great about master tape storage. Years ago we tried to reissue a title that was on CD to LP; turned the label had recorded over the master tape for use on another project...

+1 @atmasphere  As ususal, a caim voice of Reason and Information...

MOFI should expect a hit in sales due to over-reaction... Price adjustment to follow...

Post removed 

if they come from digital masters (and no wonder) I don't think it is necessary to spend a lot of money on vinyls with those characteristics but I buy the cd or sacd and save.
I believe that Mofi with this revelation / non-revelation whipped herself.