Where to go from here?

I have a treated dedicated room with pmc ci140 speakers. So my room and speakers are done. Now i need to get the front end up to par. The pmc speakers are being fed by a denon 3700h to monolith amplifier.  I rather not get hung up on which brand is best but what makes a bigger positive improvement? I can purchade a reference dac with volume like a weiss 501 or tambaqui, or i could buy a quality integrated like a mcintosh ma9500 or hegel 590. If i get the weiss or tambuqui it will be awhile until my wallet cools off, so i would keep the monolith amp for a few years. If i get a quality integrated it would be a few yrs until i got a reference seperate dac. Sooooo......what the heck makes sense and which would make the biggest improvement?  Thanks

128x128davekuyt11

Thank you for the great replies. I need to keep the amp and denon for ht purpose. I plan on a digital only system so that is why i was looking at weiss and tambaqui. They both stream and have volume control. Im sure a seperate preamp is better than a dac volume but by how much when im looking at these higher cost dacs. I lose a lot of the value that a preamp offers if Im not concerned with analog. Is that right? I hear great systems at audio shows but its hard to tell if its the  DAC, amp or preamp that Is credited with what I am liking the most.

I'd suggest you look into what equipment you can use in your own home on a trial or loaner basis.  That will probably give you the clearest idea of which approach gives you the biggest improvement. 

How good is my monolith amplifier? Audioholics raved about it but stereophile shot it down saying it was dark sounding. I didnt design or manufacture it so my feelings will not be hurt if you feel its not that great. I know audioholics use denom av receivers to listen to music but im skeptical that mid priced av's ideal for 2 channel. I know first hand my speakers sounded far better plugged into the new $10-12k storm prepro at a demo. It was clear how much unrealized performance potential my have. speakers have

@davekuyt11 

McIntosh MA 12000, use the internal DAC fed by a Lumin U2 Mini. This setup will keep you happy for many years. Save up and then go nuts on a reference DAC. 

Post removed