Higher sensitivity - more dynamic sound?

Benefits of higher sensitivity- other than loudness per watts available?

ptss

Last word in efficient or not, I prefer the big open and natural sound of electrostatics and planers over boxes, hands down, but that’s just my personal preference.

My favorites over the past many years was a pair of (not so efficient) Apogee Duetta Sigs. driven by a Mark Levinson 333. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but was mine.

If all I wanted was loud, forward and dynamic I’d buy a Jukebox.....Jim

@jhills --

Last word in efficient or not, I prefer the big open and natural sound of electrostatics and planers over boxes, hands down, but that’s just my personal preference.

Absolutely fair.

Being natural representatives of the (very) high efficiency segment: do you have experience with horn speakers, be that horn hybrids or all-horns? Tall large-horn speakers can have a sound reminiscent of large panel speakers, certainly akin to a limited dispersion "big open and natural sound" you’re describing, and a sound that sets itself apart from smaller, low efficiency box speakers in general. Not trying to convert you into being a horn freak (I suspect that attempt would be futile), but just to break down more stereotypical assumptions of their characteristics as being in every case from the same piece of sonic cloth. With horns in particular, size matters, but few want to accommodate that in their homes.

I hope that’s not your condensed takeaway from what high efficiency is necessarily about. By contrast a jukebox is only representative of that: a jukebox.

+1 @phusis 

The snarky misguided jukebox reference adds nothing to what is a good and informative thread. Different opinion and perspective can be contributed without condescension for sure.

Charles

That's funny!

Mike

+2 @phusis 

Sorry, that was a bit snarky and defiantly not a fair comparison of some of the very nice and efficient speakers of today and even some vintage.

Back in the early 80s, I much enjoyed my Vandersteen, 2Cs but by mid 80s, while looking for something that would make a little larger, deeper stage in my large listening area I auditioned both the big K-Hornes and the large Altec Lancing speakers. I did enjoy the big full stage they presented but decided, even for my relatively large area, were a bit much. I Auditioned and bought a pr. of Quad ESL 63s and fell in love with their deep, wide stage and their organic rendering of acoustic music and voices. Even more so, the Duetta Sigs. I Have been a fan of Electrostatics and Planers since. Some years later, because of a change in living spaces I had to revert to smaller, monitor style speakers. After moving back into a larger home with a decent sized listening room, I had a chance to pick up a pr. of the little Maggie 1.7s and like them allot. If I could find a pr. of used 3.7i within a reasonable driving distance of my area I’d pick them up, without worry of their efficiency. If my old ADCOM doesn’t do a good job at driving them, I should be able to find a fair buy on a used Bryston, Krell, Coda, etc that would.

To be fair, except for Spatial Audio (which I did like) I’ve not auditioned or entertained much, the idea of going with an efficient speaker - so my opinion of them may be a bit limited and irrelevant and my love for electrostatics and ribbons, a bit biased.....Jim