MCintosh MA7900 USB Driver causing Windows10/11 Crash

The Windows10/11 is experiencing intermittent kernell crash when playing music or any sound over the USB port in the MA7900. The Windows driver on the MCintosh web site is like 10 years old. The online support team had me try many things and nothing fixes the problem. Please note that this intermittent problem is present from day one when I bought the MA7900. Is there anyone out there using that configuration without any problems? Any suggestions to get an updated driver outside the MCintosh labs?

128x128jmiqui

I am using the driver downloaded from the MCintosh web site. The device manager shows "Sound, vide and game controllers" description as "Mcintosh USB Audio". The properties setting "Driver"  tab shows Manufacturer "CEntrace, Inc.". Driver date "10/7/2013. Driver version "6.0.0.3530". This is a 9 years old driver from CEntrance, Inc. provided by MCintosh. It is highly likely that this driver is causing the intermittent kernel crash "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" stop code 0x133. The only way to know for sure is by the driver developer or Microsoft to analize the mini dump created after the kernel crash. Again, it would be nice to know if anyone in the planet is able to run the MA7900 or any MCinstosh unit over the USB connected to a PC/laptop running any version of Microsoft Windows without experiencing intermittent Kernel crash. Your support is appreciated.

Try uninstalling the McIntosh driver and use the Microsoft driver included with Windows. Most likely the driver is trying to call a function that has changed with the Windows 10 / 11 kernels.

Follow these instructions about uninstalling drivers - link to Microsoft article.

After restarting, Windows should automatically detect the MA7900 and install the Microsoft driver. Use the instructions in the previous post to make sure that happened. Then test your setup. Hopefully you'll be able to play music without causing a kernel panic / crash.

I used the device manager to uninstall the driver. After restating Windows the MA7900 was not detected and the sound setting in Windows did not show the MCintosh device. The front panel of the MA7900 did not display the bit/rate 32/192k as usual. Therefore, Windows 11 does not have any inbox driver for the MA7900. As a result, I installed the original MCintosh driver package. After restarting Windows the MA7900 was detected and the bit/rate 32/192k shows on the front panel. This time the Windows Sound settings shows the MCinstosh USB Audio device as a choice to play the music. I was able to play music from spotify and video from Youtube music. Since this is an intermittent problem, I don't know if the problem will happen again after reinstalling the oribinal MCintosh driver. I will keep you posted.

Hmm... that's odd. Even CEntrance says that Windows 10 includes a USB audio driver - link. Maybe you can try the driver on their website if you still have issues going forward.

Hmmm... that's interesting. The MCintosh helpdesk engineer told me about two years ago that Windows never provided a driver for the MA7900 and it was required  to download and install the MCintosh driver.  I will continue to test to see if the issue can be reproduced.

Your plan is great about getting the driver directly from CEntrance if the Windows OS crashes again. Thanks for your support.