ARC Reference 6 or Cary SLP 05 with upgrade?

Yeah, it's me again. The Voyager has settled in nicely and I think I would benefit from a better preamp. A friendly local dealer dropped by today with a ARC LS28. That was headed in the right direction but was not close to a $12,000 improvement. I could probably swing a used ARC Reference 6, but somehow the Cary SLP 05 has caught my attention. Everything I read about it is very positive but I don't know if it would lend more of a full sound than increased transparency. Has anyone been able to compare these two directly? 

Currently: Bricasti M3 > Rogue RP-7 > LSA Voyager > Fyne F1-8

One of the things that appeals to me about the Cary, aside from cost, is it uses 6sn7 tubes which are now being manufactured by Lin Lai and have a reputation for great sonics.

Anyway, I await your wisdom. 

markmuse

My mentor love's the Cary 05. If I stayed with separates I would have it.

At near double the price is the Ref6E. A friend just bought one and he loves

it. I doubt you would be displeased with either.  Nice sleuthing.

You will not go wrong with either… but I have shifted over to all Audio Research over the last 50 years… Reference 5SE for nearly 10 years… now a Reference 6SE. Without hesitation I would go with a Reference 6. Adding a Reference amp could be life changing. 

But these are two great options.

@markmuse 

I agree that both preamplifiers are can't lose propositions. The Cary has several particular intriguing aspects.

1 A separate high quality robust power supply.

2  Utilization of the terrific 6SN7 which provides far more choices than the 6H30 in the ARC Reference (If tube rolling is appealing for you).

3 The Ultimate upgrade package is said by many to be a very worthwhile, cost effective and quite meaningful improvement of the power supply and signal path coupling capacitors.

Charles