Upgrade Marantz 5004 CDP to what ?

Any help would be appreciated.I am currently using the Marantz 5004 CDP with an older exposure pre 17 and 18 mono blocks thru System Audio Mantra 10 speakers. System veers to slightly warm and musical side. I am sure few have heard this stuff besides the Marantz.

I want to spend under 1000 bucks on a stand alone cdp. I prefer used less then 5 years old. Looking for more detail a smooth sound which can expand soundstage particular depth. I listen funk blues jazz folk old R&B some 60s and 70 rock and sometimes new rock and classical

I was thinking Cary, Exposure or creek. Open to new suggestions.
darkstar1
I would get a new preamp first and keep the Marantz for now. A preamp would make a bigger difference in SQ.
Well I am open to that suggestion if that seems like the overwhelming response. I will say the pre is well thought of and so are the amps. I really do believe based on forums and direct conversations with a guy who has spent years with all the older era exposure systems that the system will respond with better overall system. I really believe the CDP is the weakest part of my current system.
There's a nice Marantz SA-15s1 Reference Series in the classifieds for $800 used; an excellent price.

If you're happy with the timbre of your system, then keep the pre and get a better source. In your price range is the Jolida 100A, which is not a detailed sounding CDP, but has a huge soundstage and is so smooth. It responds very well to rolling the tubes to get a more detailed sound.