Speakers for string Quartets

Hi, I know already this is not a great question to ask, but…I’m looking for speakers that will only be used for string quartets.  Looking for something that will give me some of he sound of the body of the violin, not just strings. Looking for transparency with great tone, but don’t care too much about bass.
I have a large room, but never listen above 80db

current amps are Pass xa25, first watt F8, Aric Audio Single ended kt88, PS Audio m700.

just looking to really hear the violins, cellos. 
hHopefully the narrow range of music can reduce the list of prospects.

thanks

caglioti

IMO "String Quartet"  is not a silly constraint.  I take it to mean that the OP is interested in speakers that do an excellent job with small-scale, intimate arrangements emphasizing the mids. He isn't so interested in deep bass, a super wide sound stage, or the wide dynamic swings you get in orchestral music.

I had a pair of Totem Arros that worked very well within those constraints, in a small to mid-sized room. The speakers disappeared, the center image was very clear, the mid range was beautiful.  The price was under $2K.  

There tends to be a bit of false conventional wisdom about reproducing string quartet music because of the fact that we are dealing with four instruments instead of a full orchestra. String quartets can have significant dynamic range and the fundmental on a Cello is at 65hz. So while it is 20hz above a double bass, it's still well down in the bass range.

Apart from the PS Audio, any of those other amps in a big room are going to need a pretty sensitive/efficient speaker. The DeVore  96 probably fits the bill best.

I would also look at Harbeths but do not rule out listening to one of the bigger models like the HL5 Plus XD.

If you really want a stand mount speaker and are prepared to compromise on bass extension, the original Sonus Faber Guarneri is worth seeking out.

Suggest trying Harbeth SHL5+ with a lower powered amp & see what you think. I own them because they work well for me across many genres of music, but I enjoy cello and they certainly sing for that instrument - very musical down low, beautiful voicing and clarity throughout. Again, I’ve never played these with an amp putting out less than 40 wpc, but your needs obviously dependent on listening distance, volume etc.

Let us know how your thinking evolves and what you choose!

Have a great day

I had a pair of Totem Arros that worked very well within those constraints, in a small to mid-sized room. The speakers disappeared, the center image was very clear, the mid range was beautiful.  The price was under $2K.  

Chief say, “totem pole provide many face.”
Best is “about face”.