amp repair cost too high??

Following up on the post <<is this tech charging too much on amp restoration/repair?>>

Maybe we can open discussion up as to when we should retire a  piece of equipment, or is the unit worth the upgarde/repair.
The amp in discussion, not sure what the used price goes for, but he mentioned repair/ship about $1500.
Seems to me, after a  decade+ of usage, perhaps it was time to bury the old amp and consider putting that $1500 towards a  used or new amp.
So the Q is , what factors  should we  take into consideration when comes time to repair or modify a  unit?
Hopefully this topic can open up ideas which we can all benifit from when it comes our turn to either repair, restore, or sell the unit.
The amp in the topic was a  Musical Fidelity I believe,, not sure what the used bluebook value is, but after 15 yrs seems would not have much resale value, Still , is it a  good idea to put $1500 into a  amp that can not fetch more than say $1200ish on the used market?

mozartfan

This logic never made sense to me.  Repairing or replacing based on the costs to repair.  nope.

it is math. 

If it would take much more money to replace this piece in order to achieve the same or better sound quality, then repair it.  Stop worrying about the costs to sell it.

For example, I work on cars all the time.  Restore and repair.  If one really loves their car and has taken care of it.  proper maintenance, etc. and the car develops an engine issue that requires the engine be rebuilt, then rebuild the engine.  Because if you go in the direction or replacing the car with a new car, you will come out of pocket for a whole lot more money.  So rebuild it or replace the engine with a rebuilt engine.  Unless one just wants a new car and new car payment.

If you were totally happy with the amps sound in your system and to replace this amp with a new one that is as good or better, would costs lots more??? I don't see the logic here.  fix it.  However, if you can find a quality amp that is as good or better for the costs it would take to repair yours, then okay.  go for it.   But, I doubt you can.

The math doesn't work for me.

But, if you are itching to upgrade, then that is the audiophile story and have fun.

enjoy