Don Sachs Owners Thread

A place to discuss amps, preamps, and phono stages from Don Sachs. 

I just purchased a like new D2 linestage. It has 2 gain controls, 64 step volume control, and digital volume readout. It is set up for the new rectifier. This is my first 6sn7 based linestage. It came with Ken-Rad Vt 231and gray RCA tubes. There are 3 rectifier tubes. A huge Philco 6BY5G, a Tung-Sol 6BY5G, and a Bendix 5852. There is also an Ice Age Audio power cord. With 2 different sounding outputs there are a lot of options. I need to find out what value the output caps are. I have the D2 connected at the moment to a VTL ST150. Input impedance is 125K and 2v in for maximum gain. 

I placed the RCA tubes in left front and rear and Ken-Rad in the right. Used Philco rectifier. Plugged VTL amp into output 1. The brightest sounding preamp I've ever heard. It was comical, bass drums sounded more like cymbals. Output 2 sounds like normal music. This surprises me. With 125K input, I thought there would be no problem getting bass response. 

Some questions.

1. Are the 6Sn7's in the right locations? I guessed by looking at the sellers photograph.

2. Is the Ice Age Audio the AC cord the brand Don offers as an option? 

3. I'll audition all 3 but which rectifier would be considered tops?

The linestage sounds amazing. 

Thanks,

aldnorab

128x128aldnorab

Anyone using Linlai 6SN7 tubes in their preamp? Thinking about getting 2 as a trial. Need some back up tubes, and new would be a great addition to my nos. 

Thanks,

aldnorab

I just sent back my model 2 for some upgrades.  Don completed the work and had it back to me within 2 weeks.  I'm not sure he knows how to retire.

@firstgrowth  good to know. Hope he doesn't over do it and stays healthy. Which upgrades are Don adding to your Model 2? 

Just saw a post by Jim McShane saying his tube/ Citation amp business was swamped. Don used to do his Citation restorations. Mick is running about 4 months on Supratek orders. They are all getting up in years and fighting supply chain issues. We are pushing small artisan businesses to the max. 

Thanks for the update,

aldnorab

He upgraded the caps, improved the regulated filament supply, and modded the hole for the rectifier tube so it can accommodate a 6BY5 tube.  

@firstgrowth  that should improve sound quality quite a bit. Surprised it was finished so quickly. Hope you post updates on the sound improvement. It is always interesting to read about the changes.

Thanks,

aldnorab