Subwoofer between speakers?

After reading through a thread relating to the equipment rack between speakers, I assume that the sub between the speakers is also a no-no?

My speaker stands are 24.5" high, and my sub is 24" high, so I was thinking that the sub cabinet being below the mid-range driver might mitigate the detrimental effects to imaging. But I read a reply in the thread that I alluded to which talked about an amp between the speakers having a negative effect on imaging . . . therefore it stands to reason that a big bulky sub cabinet would be about 20 times worse.

I know that ideally I should experiment with placement . . . this is an extreme near-field listening room, and options are limited. I could get it to the outside of my right channel speaker . . . in theory, would that be better than in between?

immatthewj

@whitefishpoint1175

I have no subwoofers at all. Well treated room with outstanding setup, no need. Tried them and sold them…..

Not all subs are created equal and not all can correctly integrate. Unless you have speakers that can get to 30Hz and not screw up 300Hz doing it, subs add a realism out of all proportion to the added Hz.

As a composer friend once said upon hearing my system "Those little speakers aren’t putting out all that gorgeous bass?!?!?!?!?" ... "Every other subwoofer I’ve heard just boomed."

OP Respect for your adoptions. We always have a pair… acquired one, train for a year, then second. No doubt you have your hands full. It is hard enough to train and domesticate one dog at a time… three is got to be beyond difficult… I hope you don’t have to work and have professional training help.

Yes, the wave principles of subs are the same in HT and audio.

G

@ieales Okay if you say so. Deep bass frequencies in recorded music are between 40 and 50 Hz. The lowest note in a rock band is 42.5 Hz

My speakers spec or at least one set.

Drivers:
1 X 1.1” (29mm) Ring-Dome Tweeter
2 X 6.7” (171mm) Poly Cone Woofer

Sensitivity: 90dB (2.83V/1m)

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Frequency Response:
40Hz – 20 kHz ±2 dB kHz

32 foot organ pipe is 16.4Hz

The head displacement 'whhomph' on a kick drum is about ½Hz in a rock band.

Harp, contrabassoon, piano about 28Hz

Tuba about 30Hz

Large spaces have sub harmonics. Reproducing them transports one to the venue.

Sorry to hear about the 2x woofers. Multiple woofers are seldom done right and suffer badly due to panel interference and multiple asynchronous reflections. I’m guessing they are ported. Too bad. Much harder to integrate with subs.

I have 2 REL subs slightly behind & to the insides of my magnepans & they sound best there. I tride them in opposite corners 4 feet behind & to the outside of the Maggie but it didn't  sound nearly as good. Much too boomy.