Differences the Project RS2 Transport and the (newest) Jay's Audio CD2 Mk 3

@jaymark and @charles1dad are owners of the Project PS2 Transport and loving it.  I am between the Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 and the Project.   However, did anyone compare the NEW 2019 Jay's Audio CD2 Mk3 rather than the prior model Mk2?  Steve Guttenberg reviewed them both and found significant improvement in the Mk3 version sonically.   How close are they now as the Jay's is $2500 and the Project with LTA power is closer to $4,000 (with taxes)?   

fleschler

stevenmarchesano

You are absolutely right about the clock and data jitter affecting the sound quality of the D/A converter. The data coming  from a CD transport has to be reformated to the clockless data transmission of the AES/spdif format. A re-clocker such as the Mutec MC3 can make a huge difference in the sound stage and overall clarity of the converter, especially with a DVD player. Most have a lot of data jitter.      

Maybe a new can of worms here but the otherwise wonderful Project transport with it's proprietary I2S only plays the redbook layer of a Hybrid SACD?  Why would they limit the very best playback (original, well recorded SACD). Does it even happen with their DAC?

Chuckie and baylinor are on to this going with the new Jay's and a Pontus Dac...real SACD thru your choice of DAC.    

For those desiring SACD the Pro-Ject RS2 transport wouldn't be for them. Pro-Ject has clearly stated their singular objective was to provide the best quality Redbook CD playback they could. I'm in that category of listener and they hit a homerun with superb Redbook performance.

So as is always the case it depends on what  one is searching for. There are definitely very good choices available for those seeking SACD capability.

Charles 

Hello 

Well, my Jay's Audio cd2 mkIII arrived last week undamaged and very well packaged.....Thanks Alvin /Vinshine. Only 14 days transit time to arrive which seemed like an eternity. I am totally relieved as I am a worry wart until my merchandise arrives. Unboxing the Jay's cd2 mkIII and falling in love with the  beautifully constructed and meticulous neatly packaged unit I figured its best to check the manual. To my amazement reading the manual I noticed the "break-in" time stated "400" hours. I am not doubting that amount of time and was just wondering if those who sold their Jay's cd2 mkIII for the Project RS ever read the manual and didn't realize it would take that long to get the best sound. Is it possible that their Jay's cd2 mkIII wasn't even broken in yet?  Just a thought....

@chuckie 

Congratulations! I believe that you'll be very happy with your new transport.  Enjoy!

Charles