Turntable Resonance Solution

A few months ago I expanded my music options and reentered the vinyl market.  Since my rack was full of components I needed a new stand/rack to set my turntable on and after searching for several weeks could not find a solution that worked for my space.  Many dealers and shops were sold out and could not get stock due to the pandemic and supply issues.  My solution ended up being a repurposed dresser with a glass top.  One day when I was listening with my grill covers off I noticed in between tracks, that my subwoofers and woofers on my mains were moving in and out ridiculously fast creating resonance.  If it was happening between tracks I knew it had to have a negative impact when it was playing a track.  After consulting some Audiogon members privately I went with the solution recommended by @millercarbon which was a Townshend Podium.  I contacted Townshend in the UK and gave them my turntable specs and they identified s solution immediately that they guaranteed would work.  I have had the podium about 10 days and not only did the resonance go away but the music from my turntable sounds much much better.  It's as if I got a new turntable.  The bass response is more clear and the midrange sounds so much more pure.  Have not noticed a huge difference in the tweeter performance although it is slightly improved.  I had no idea that a podium under my turntable could not only solve the resonance but actually improve the sound and made this purchase a huge BONUS.  I will definitely add additional products from Townshend  in the future, but for now I'll enjoy this upgrade.  Interested to see if others have had a positive impact their turntable or on speakers, amps, etc. using this or similar products? 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xwoots

@astolfor In fairness, you have some serious hi-end tables there with their own suspension/damping systems.

@astolfor worth a try. I did give them my turntable model number and they sold me the unit based on its weight.  The piece of metal that my turntable sits on is somewhat thin but durable. There are handles/holes at the ends of the metal to move around. I’d give it a try but make sure the marble doesn’t compress the springs down too low or it might not work.  

@noromance :) but you would be surprised how much they "react" to something bad in the chain... In my house in Spain, built on top of rock ground, with rock and bricks and concrete,  isolation/resonation is not as big deal as the house in the US. In the US the house is in an island, sand on top of  slate(?) 25 feet below.

There a car goes by, and even though I can't hear the car go by, I can hear it in the sound. the road is about 150 feet from my house. I used an iPhone app and it is crazy how the vibrations go to the table. I definitely need something more there.

New racks are coming, hopefully that will help too.

@astolfor Understood. That's why I'm in the basement on 5" of concrete on a few acres. Turntable is on concrete blocks as various racks suffered from acoustic feedback. Swapping out cones for springs was a revelation.