Nietzsche and Runaway Audio Consumption

Came across this today. A lot of posts bring up the issue of "how much is enough?" or "when is audio consumption justified" etc.

Does this Nietzsche aphorism apply to audio buying? You be the judge! 

Friedrich Nietzsche“Danger in riches. — Only he who has spirit ought to have possessions: otherwise possessions are a public danger. For the possessor who does not know how to make use of the free time which his possessions could purchase him will always continue to strive after possessions: this striving will constitute his entertainment, his strategy in his war against boredom. 

Thus in the end the moderate possessions that would suffice the man of spirit are transformed into actual riches – riches which are in fact the glittering product of spiritual dependence and poverty. They only appear quite different from what their wretched origin would lead one to expect because they are able to mask themselves with art and culture: for they are, of course, able to purchase masks. By this means they arouse envy in the poorer and the uncultivated – who at bottom are envying culture and fail to recognize the masks as masks – and gradually prepare a social revolution: for gilded vulgarity and histrionic self-inflation in a supposed ‘enjoyment of culture’ instil into the latter the idea ‘it is only a matter of money’ – whereas, while it is to some extent a matter of money, it is much more a matter of spirit.” 

Nietzsche, Friedrich. 1996. Human, All Too Human: A Book for Free Spirits. Cambridge University Press. (p. 283-4, an aphorism no. 310)

I'm pretty sure @mahgister will want to read this one! (Because they speak so artfully about avoiding the diversion that consumption poses to the quest for true aesthetic and acoustic excellence.)

128x128hilde45

You are right if we speak about a diversity which is only a mass of external additons of "objects" or posts taken without any intent linking them all......

I dont think that this is the case in point for this thread wisely created by the OP...

Then you own post is an evidently true "idealized" assertion itself...

i apologize to you for my remark.... I know you are a trustfull thinking person...

In the opposite twoleftears always post short negative posts ...

Diversity should be welcome but not all diversity is necessarily welcome. Some has nothing to do with intelligence, ethics, values, or anything else of value to all.

Just picking up on broad idealized assertions that are clearly not true.

Pure musical experience cannot be reduced to acoustic and psycho-acoustic experience...

But there is a rightful way to do it though, and we can assert that in some perspective, we could try to submit music experience to science...If we respect the irreducible quality of music experience when we study it...

In the same way EVIL cannot be a study matter for science, because for many materialist scientist qualities dont exist "per se" they are secondary illusions, like music experience which is a lived quality which can be put aside at the end as secondary...

Evil is not even recognized by science save in psychiatric science only few decades ago: psychopathology...

From all corners of social activities we are conditioned to take for real what is measurable technically speaking...All the rest did not count much...

All the rest go with the baby in the muddied waters...

Nietszche wrote his quote at the supreme moment where materialism was ascending to his peak, at this time man was owning a "soul" again, and REMEMBERED IT, even if his soul was at risk to be lost ... We live after materialism , in the age of a technological religion, where there is no more "soul" or anything to be lost...

People are conditioned to listen to their idols who speak to them directly by the miracle of technology : computer, virtual reality,cars, audio system,.... People own their idols and gods and they are like slaves praying to their perfectly designed slaves-idols...

The crisis in audio reflect perfectly the world crisis...Educated mass ignorance at the service of corporations small or big...

Knowledge is reduced to science and at the end science is reduced to only technology...

Nietszche quote seems even a "naive" statement by a romantic deluded too religious man...

But i am optimist: the actual world crisis is the defining moment in all human history...

I know than men will awake in a way or in another way....Death dont exist only corpses exist...

I will now go listen to some therapeutic music in my dedicated room, waiting to be imprisoned perhaps or waiting to pay for a fine in money  because i am not vaccinated in this Canadian sleepwalking country...

I live in Orwellian age...I never think young that Orwell could be a prophet like Blake was or biblical prophets...I was naive and i thought that democracy will reign supreme here forever over "communists"evil....I was very deluded....I read too much books at a young age not paying any attention to the world TILL NOW...

Nietszche was right only the man who already own a spirit can own even books without undermining himself at the end...

What is spirit?

It is freedom....

Freedom is the seed, the root, the fruit and the flower of spirit in pure love....

Post removed 
Post removed