Coincident Statement Line Stage vs Jadis JP80MC vs EAR 868PL vs Aesthetic Janus

I had another thread asking about different preamps. I then bought Coincident Statement Line Stage and ModWright LS100. Both of them are very good in its own right. The CSLS is very transparent and engaging. The Modwright has very good tone. After debating for a long time, I finally sold the Modwright. But that tone can’t leave my head. While the CSLS sounds excellent in my system right now, I always wonder if there is one preamp in the world that has quality of both CSLS and Modwright LS100, and that would be prefect.

After I sold the Modwright, I upgraded to better cables and power cords. I also upgraded to the Psvane WE101D, but unfortunately, one of the tube turns white in less than a month, and I am in the process of getting warranty replacement. I also upgraded to APL DAC. I feel I maximized what I can do trying to get the tone, but it is still not quite there yet, but very close to what I want. Therefore, I am trying to see what other options I have. Another challenge is that I listen to vinyl 20% of the time, and I feel my current MC phono preamp doesn’t match with the CSLS. So, instead of trying another phono preamp, I am wondering if I will get better synergy to find a preamp that also have a good MC phono built in. But I am opened to suggestion that doesn’t have phono.

I am interested in the following:

1) EAR Yoshino 868PL

2) Aesthetix Janus

3) Jadis JP80MC

Does any of these has the same level of transparency and as engaging as the CSLS, and on top of that, have the tonal density of Modwright Ls100?

thanks in advance.

gte357s

@gte357s  What output tubes using in 211 and 300b. I was using Shuguang Black Treasure in my 300b amps until recent change to Psvane Acme, much more color with the Acme, Shuguangs bleached out in comparison. My 845 has also benefited with better output tubes.

Based on your comments as to airy, open vs warm, bass heavy I'd not change out major components at this point. Sounds like your close to your goal, small changes will likely get you where you want to be.

Change in output tubes,  and/or cartridge may be all you need. Change in power cords may help as well. Clean AC important as well. When you get to the level of equipment and resolving powers your at, little things can mean a lot. Looks to me like you have all the fundamentals in place, just need to tweak a bit.

@charles1dad

This is exactly what I think. I understand each tube has a different characteristic. So, I bought the Modwright LS100 which use the 6SN7. Eventually, I choose the slightly more open sound of CSLS over the excellent tone of the Modwright. I know I cannot judge the sound of a tube by just one amp, but I feel 6SN7 tube is lacking the fineness and transparency in 101D. So, if I am going to try another preamp, I would like to try one with a different tube.

Since I am quite satisfied with the current setup, I am not going to make decision light heartedly. Thanks for all the feedback.

@sns 

for the 300B, I tried the followings in both the 211 as driver tube and in the ANK:

- Shuguang Black Treasure

- Shuguang regular 

- TJ Full music mesh plate globe bottle

- Sophia Electric Princess

- Elrog

- Shuguang WE300B

- Cossor (LinLai) WE300B

The Shuguang Black Treasure seems to have more bass, but then again, it sounds less airy and open.  The WE300B works better for me in both the 211 and ANK.

I am using GE 211.  Also tried the Psvane.  The GE gives a warmer sound.

I also tried the Shuguang SG101.  They seem to be discontinued.  The experience is similar to the Shuguang Black Treasure.  While it has more bass, it is less airy and not as open.  Eventually, it seems I always opt for the more airy tube. 

Looking back, I think your are right, it seems I just need to tweak the sound.  Try different tubes likely be a more cost effective way to get where I want.  If I buy another preamp, seems I am starting this all over again.  

@gte357s 

Looking back, I think your are right, it seems I just need to tweak the sound.  Try different tubes likely be a more cost effective way to get where I want.  If I buy another preamp, seems I am starting this all over again

I agree your assessment and @sns is right,   you have terrific  quality audio components.  No reason /need for making major component changes (In my opinion) but rather thoughtful fine tuning.    I believe will get you where you want to go. I'm confident that you'll successfully sort it out.

Charles 

Well, you've tried a lot of tubes, so I'd go back to trying different cartridge. I'd bet the correct cartridge will solve most if not all your issues.